Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Warfare Magazine
If everything goes to plan - and I'll do my utmost to make sure it does - the first issue of Ancient Warfare Magazine will appear in April 2007. It will be 52 full colour pages (12"[30cm]*8"[20cm]) packed with articles on everything ancient warfare: campaigns, battles, soldiers, equipment, daily-life, interesting source materials and several items of original artwork in every issue. It will appear 6 times per year.

- Interested in writing an article? If so, then send a 200 word abstract to editor@*NOSPAM*ancient-warfare.com. Describe what the article is going to be about, what angle you will choose, give an indication of source material, planned length and what kind of illustrations you plan to use. Please also indicate if you can supply these illustrations yourself.
As an encouragement: we do pay for your time!
Also, if you have a good idea for an article, but don't feel able to write it yourself, send a similar abstract so I can see if I can have someone else write it.
Artists: if you have suggestions for artwork accompanying an article, or are just interested to work for us (we do have a budget), please let us know at the same address.
- Interested in a subscription? Then please send an email to subscriptions@*NOSPAM*ancient-warfare.com. We will have an introduction sale as well...
- Interested in advertising? sales@*NOSPAM*ancient-warfare.com is the address to write to. Early 2007 we will also be sending out a press-kit. Send us an email if you're interested in receiving it.

Other questions? Post them here!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Sounds great! Is there a limit to the period covered? Mainly Greeks, Romans and all people and tribes around at the time? This is a major enterprise!
All the best of luck to you (and your boss Big Grin )
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
Hi Robert,
Yeah, time limits. That might be good to tell :wink:
Ancient Warfare magazine will cover the entire ancient world, however, the emphasis will be heavily on the Classical World (ie Greece, Rome and the Hellenistic world). Within those geographical and chronological limits the emphasis will be on Rome. In numbers, something like Rome 60%, Greece 30%, the rest 10%.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hi Jasper,

Any idea of the ranges of length for articles? Say features of 3000 and smaller ones at 1000 or are you waiting to see what comes?

Cheers

Murray
Murray K Dahm

\'\'\'\'No matter how many you kill, you cannot kill your successor\'\'\'\' - Seneca to Nero - Dio 62

\'\'\'\'There is no way of correcting wrongdoing in those who think that the height of virtue consists in the execution of their will\'\'\'\' - Ammianus Marcellinus 27.7.9
outstanding enterprise, sign me up for a subscription...well, figuartive,i'll do that ofcourse and count on my artwork regularly, i'll send some submissions and such...oh to get involved fulltime that would be splendid!!! good to know jasper, you made my morning!

magnus gratis
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
Any ideas on Subscription cost? Range of mailing?I know b am interested. What details do you need for the subscription email?
For the subscriptions, count on something like 29,95 euros/$39,95 for 6 issues regular rate. It'll probably be a flatrate worldwide. I know that's not cheap, but low prices come with bulk (i.e. thousands and thousands). I'll do my utmost to make it worth your money though!
Murray, I budgetted for articles of 2000 and 4000 words, but it also depends on the final design and the number of illustrations of course.

I'm hoping to convince my boss of an introduction offer, something like the first issue $3.95 incl.P&P, or subscribe before April 1st and get a 25% discount on the subscription rate.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
and there was much joy!

count me also in for a subscription! Can we already send the email?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Yup. The domain is active. Site will come around January.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Hi Jasper,

Firstly Keltica will be interested in Advertising, Secondly in 20 years of re-enactment with various societies I have noticed a severe lack of real study and authenticity amongst 'Celtic' groups.

Would the magazine be interested in factually based pieces regarding authenticity for Gauls and Britons as well as full colour pictures accompanying subjects such as tatooing with woad or painting with Iron Ore based paints?

What is your projected readership?

Will
President & CEO
Keltica Iron Age Village Inc.
Hi Will,
Great! I'll put you on the list for a press-kit then.

The answer to your first question is probably yes. Would you submit a slightly more extensive abstract to editor@*NOSPAM*ancient-warfare.com?

Readership: do you mean numbers or description?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
For readers who come later to this, I will quickly add that I am certainly not tarring every 'Celtic' group with that observation. There are notably Iron Age groups in both UK, Europe whom are excellent and thouorugh with their research and at least two in the States whom though I have only seen their work through photo's on various sites seem to have made a very concerted attempt and most importantly are committed to further work.

W
Hi Jasper,

Yes a Press kit would be great when they are available. By readership I mean how many readers are you expecting ?

We would be more than happy to advertise and offer copies of it for sale in the Keltica gift store once we are open to the public if you are happy with the idea.

I will work on a more extensive abstract in the next couple of days and get something off to editor@*NOSPAM*ancient-warfare.com

ON a similar note, I believe there is a possible opportunity to include something on RAT regarding what should be classed as acceptable kit amongst Iron Age groups. Also, Keltica will be approaching Deepeeka with accurate Iron Age jewellry designs as I believe they would do very well with said line of Ipswich torcs and the like.

Nice to talk to you Jasper

Regards

Will
Hi Will,
By all means, discuss such things here too, although I'd be happy to have some kind of exclusivity for the magazine as I'm sure you understand.
Also, just to be sure, I assume that everyone understands that the *nospam* needs to be deleted from the email addresses mentioned here.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I've send an email for a subscription too. Great work, I'm looking forward to it.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be