Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5th C. Western Roman Kits Persons Timeline Etc. (24 May 09)
Yes.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote: Galla Placidia the top figure and the children represented in the low part.
I'm not sure. The lower figure wears the decorated robes and jewellery. I'd say it is Placidia below right.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Are you sure that the portrayed persons even belong to the Imperial family? :?
What is written in Greek around them? Could somebody post a better image, please? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Here's a bigger pic.

Quote:...an incredibly ornate jeweled cross, put together out of various pieces in the seventh century. One of those pieces, just over half-way down the lower arm of the cross, is a medallion from the Roman Empire...
...Jas Elsner briefly discusses the object in the introduction to Imperial Rome and Christian Triumph: The Art of the Roman Empire AD 100-450 (Oxford, 1998). In his caption, he writes (p. 22), ‘Gold-glass medallion, perhaps from Alexandria, dated anywhere between the early third and the mid-fifth centuries AD. This family group of a mother, in a richly embroidered robe and jewels, with her son and daughter, bears the inscription BOUNNERI KERAMI. This may be an artist’s signature or the name of the family represented.’
( http://campusmawrtius.blogspot.com/2006 ... lia-4.html )

It's in the Museo della Citta', Brescia.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Here's a big one, inspired by that medallion:
http://www.bleriot.net/db/bl3web.jpg

From a nice article in French: http://www.bleriot.net/db/
Or this one:
[Image: parp581.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Many thanks to Dan and Robert! Big Grin
Not Gala Placidia then, I'm afraid... :wink:

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Robert wrote:

Quote:it's not easy over here either to find good patterns!

That's because you need to get off the net and spend more time in a library or in a Museum Robert :wink: . Not far from you in Antwerp is one of the best private collections of Coptic textiles in the world. Sadly I have not seen it myself but have it on good authority that there is some pretty amazing things in there. It is possible to book appointments for a private viewing.

Failing that look out for exhibitions and their catalogues like the recent one from Manchester. I advised people especially the late Romans amongst RAT members to get there, as there were a number of complete examples of clothes including cloaks, tunics and hats. Not sure whether anyone else from RAT went which is a bit of a sad reflection I think.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:That's because you need to get off the net and spend more time in a library or in a Museum Robert :wink:

Nah, I meant in shops. We were talking about trims ..
Well, now that you mention it, I DO need a good image of a clavus...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Which kind of clavus, Robert? Purple and white, polychrome? Geommetrycal, figural? An early one, I guess but, let's say from IV to VIth, as 'experts' don't agree about exact dates. Anyway, I tend to think that IVth century patches were mainly bichrome and not figural, but I'm not an expert, after all... :wink:
You should be patient, in any case, as I would have to scan the pics from books! Sad

Graham,
The Manchester exhibition was a little too far away from here to assist. In any case, you mention a catalogue. Could you give us more details on it, please? 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Hello Aitor

The Exhibition was at the Whitworth Art Gallery University of Manchester. If you look at their website you will find contact details etc...

The Exhibition was called Clothing Culture Dress in Egypt in the First Millennium AD by Frances Pritchard. Catalogues should still be available around £25 and well worth getting.

Graham.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Many thanks, Graham, I'll have a look at the site! 8)

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Graham,
The exhibition looked amazing and extremely up-to-date Confusedhock:
Therefore, the catalogue is a must-have-it for me!
Unfortunately, a quick search on Oxbow an Amazon has yielded no results... Sad
Should I try to order it directly from the Withworth? :?
Thanks,

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Hello Aitor

Yes, the exhibition was impressive with some amazing items on display. I think it would be best to order direct from the Whitworth. If you have any problems let me know.

I myself ordered another past exhibition catalogue from the Musee Dobree in France called 'Au Fil Du Nil' which is another must have for you late Romans.

Graham.

Thanks again Graham! Big Grin
I'll e-mail them to ask about the book.
Another book, uh, what's the best one from the pair in your opinion? :?

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Hi Aitor

Without checking, the Manchester one seems to have more complete garments and a greater range, hats etc...

The Dobree Museum book has lots of details of the Coptic designs themselves.

I have both but no reconstructed late Helmet or sword or great outfit like yours. Sadly like you money has to be budgeted. Cry

Graham.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman mosaics - a timeline Musivarius 0 1,381 07-10-2017, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Musivarius
  Fifth Century A.D. Western Roman Empire Timeline Restitvtvs 25 10,944 06-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Last Post: Severinus
  western roman empire Antonius_X 6 2,298 11-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Last Post: Viventius