Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\'Gates of Fire\' By Steven Pressfield
I'm hoping for a film about Thermopylai which doesn't use Gates of Fire as its basis. I have read this, and many other of Pressfield's books, and thoroughly enjoyed them but my main quesion/point is - is not the actual story of Thermopylai interesting enough without the fictionalised additions of Pressfield's book?

I read a few years back that Michael Mann had been preparing a cinematic treatment of a Leonidas' 300 story which those who had read it said was very promising. Apparently it featured an overhead filming approach of the brutal fighting in the pass which would have made the action in Gladiator look like a picnic! As we know both Bruce Willis and George Clooney were interested in the lead role. I wonder if they would have made the king look what his proper age would have been - i.e. probably approaching 60 (and at least early 50s).

It is a fantastic and truly inspiring tale which has been badly served (twice now) and seriously in need of the 'ultimate' treatment. The 1962 sword & sandal nonsense and more recent Frank Miller adaptation are enjoyable in their own ways but the real story needs to be told (as best as we can understand it) in an accurate and dignified way. I think there is more than enough in Herodotos and the other ancient accounts to give us a story worthy of telling, without the need for modern historio-fiction. I mean I worry that history is going to be forever hijacked by Hollywood to serve other purposes, and now I'm sad to say the BBC are at it with The Tudors and such like.

Let's just hope Mel Gibson doesn't get involved ...
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Well, personally, I very much want to see the pressfield version, as it was a unique twist on a true story, which has
been usurped by the other, less than great, movies on the ancient world, that were pushed out, in the wake of Gladiator.

I cannot say I can say I enjoyed 300, even Troy was ruined, and Alexander was ok, but still, not entirely in the vision I had on reading the history, or any of the Novels.

I was and still am dissappointed that it was dumped into limbo, for what ever reason, after Cloony anf Mann got the rights to do it.
I keep my fingers crossed. :|
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I don't think nor would I want to see another Hollywood depiction of ancient history...They just don't fell it, and should not focus on it..ever.

As for Gates of Fire? What do we know of Thermopyles that is not to some extent fictionalized?

I already showed you here how very differently we can interpret same words (depicting hoplites), and what we learn from paintings can not ever be taken as a 100% history report, as we must not forget artistic freedom and creativity that can take painting very far from actual source...What makes you think facts we know today are exact facts at all.

All best
Aleksandar Nikic

????? ?????? ???? ??????????? ?????????? ? ???? .....
..said the 143 kg stone,for a testimony of still unseen feat of strenght.
Wasn't Vin Diesel touted to be playing the great Carthaginian general Hannibal in some forthcoming epic?
[size=75:2kpklzm3]Ghostmojo / Howard Johnston[/size]

[Image: A-TTLGAvatar-1-1.jpg]

[size=75:2kpklzm3]Xerxes - "What did the guy in the pass say?" ... Scout - "Μολὼν λαβέ my Lord - and he meant it!!!"[/size]
Well, just give me a few millions, and I'll make the da**ed movie then.....I want to see it on the screen! :twisted:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Wasn't Vin Diesel touted to be playing the great Carthaginian general Hannibal in some forthcoming epic?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382731/
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Lost Capital of Byzantium by Steven Runciman Gaius Julius Caesar 2 1,683 02-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Interview with two Stevens: Saylor and Pressfield mcbishop 1 1,468 06-17-2008, 02:05 AM
Last Post: Senovara
  Pressfield, Afghan Campaign Jona Lendering 9 3,142 12-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Idomeneas