Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dura-Europos shield cover
Hi,
the above mentioned article

R.Uhden, ‘Bemerkungen zu dem römischen Kartenfragment von Dura Europos’, Hermes 67 (1932) 117-125.

can be found Hermes 67 (1932)

Greetings
Alexandr
Just thought I might revive this thread a little bit: what area is depicted on the shield? Looks like the Dalmatian region to me, am I right? I think I'm seeing "Danube" above what looks like a river.

Also, who are the three creepy ghost figures at the bottom of the map (in the sea)?
Multi viri et feminae philosophiam antiquam conservant.

James S.
Quote:... what area is depicted on the shield? Looks like the Dalmatian region to me, am I right? I think I'm seeing "Danube" above what looks like a river.
It's actually the north shore of the Black Sea, as it would appear to a viewer in the east.

You can clearly see ISTROS POTAM[ON] (River Ister) and DANOVBI[O]S POT[AMON] (River Danube) on the graphic posted above by Dan. (Thanks, Dan!)

TOMEA (above the Ister) will be Tomis. The topmost placename -- ODES[--] -- will be Odessa, but the bottom one -- ART[--] -- is unknown to me.
posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
I would say map....but then I see everyone already said that... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks to Francis for the heads-up:

http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/bpt6k55242p/f121.image

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dura-Europos painted wooden shield undergoes new analysis Gunthamund Hasding 0 1,614 11-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Use of Strings of Leather Shield Cover Scola 6 1,650 07-25-2013, 08:14 PM
Last Post: Scola
  AIA piece on Dura-Europos siege mines Gaius Decius Aquilius 9 3,626 06-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell