Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forks
Wow. Simply wow. What are the dates for this item?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:What are the dates for this item?

This one is not dated as its provenance isn't known as it seems. The comparable find from Lioben (Bulgaria) - see above in this thread - comes from a early 3rd century grave though. Spoon form also points to late 2nd and/or 3rd century.
What are the dimensions of the tool?
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

quando omni flunkus, mortati
You have the first volunteer for the operation! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi Alexander,

sorry, must have overlooked your last post!

Overall length as in pics 1 & 2 above is 13.4 cm, as in pic 3 above 22 cm. Spoon is 5 x 2.8 cm max, blade is 6.2 x 2.2 cm max. Hope that helps :-) )
Quote:Hi Alexander,

sorry, must have overlooked your last post!

Overall length as in pics 1 & 2 above is 13.4 cm, as in pic 3 above 22 cm. Spoon is 5 x 2.8 cm max, blade is 6.2 x 2.2 cm max. Hope that helps :-) )

Well, I have changed the last post about the PM sent (since now I know that you got it) into question about the dimensions :wink:

I like the sizes - the tool is neither too large nor too small.
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

Quote:Hello everyone,

I just got back from studying in Bregenz Austria and while I was there I saw something really interesting in a local museum in Bregenz. In the Ancient Roman section of the museum they had a fork on display, which looked exactly like a modern fork. Now if I remember correctly the fork was not invented until the 16th century in Italy. I took photos of the fork , which are too big to post. If anyone wants to see photos of the fork please send me a PM. If anyone has any info on this topic please reply.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but. BREGENZ? Sometimes this is a small small world. I was born there and my parents still live there. The museum is small but some quite interesting stuff there, the Coolus, horseshoes and swords for example. I took pics some time ago but lost them :roll:
RESTITVTOR LIBERTATIS ET ROMANAE RELIGIONIS

DEDITICIVS MINERVAE ET MVSARVM

[Micha F.]
I recall many years ago seeing several forks displayed in the Naples museum from Pompeii ( I'm afraid I don't have pictures). As I recall, these were all bronze and of the two-tined variety and very similar to those shown above.
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
Finished the reconstruction in silver (just like the original), finally:

[Image: SwissArmyKnifeRecon_11.jpg]

[Image: SwissArmyKnifeRecon_10.jpg]

[Image: SwissArmyKnifeRecon_08.jpg]
Beautiful work, Martin. I have a Len Morgan version, and it never fails to have a huge impact with the public at events- usually described by them as a "Roman multifunction knife".

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
I got one from Martin as well. Martin's work is outstanding as always, and his usual adherence to the minute details resulted in an exact copy of the original, as far as I can tell. Thank you, Martin!
M. CVRIVS ALEXANDER
(Alexander Kyrychenko)
LEG XI CPF

Is anyone still making these marvelous things?
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
Yes.

You can find it at www.armillum.com
Nice one, thanks for that.

Shame the pound's gone all wobbly. Still, €60..not bad.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Hah! Have managed to secure the last of Len Morgan's. 8)
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forks? Gashford 22 4,970 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Last Post: john m roberts