Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forks
Traced two more of those multifunctional instruments, also dated to the 3rd century. the first one is from Ventimiglia in Italy, the other one was found in Lioblen, Bulgaria. as you can see the were variants within those sets, the one from Ventimiglia has the fork on its own and combines the spoon with a little sieve.

Ventimiglia:
[Image: Ventimiglia_02small.jpg]

Lioblen:
[Image: Ventimiglia_04small.jpg]

Literature:

Alföldi-Rosenbaum, Elisabeth: Der spätrömische Silberschatz von Kaiseraugst. 1984, 2 Vols.

Demetri Ovouarrov. O Naleoune Geroonov B Drevnee Phrakee. Thracia III. Sofia 1974. 345-52
Thanks- another laudes for you!
Are these also in silver?
Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
If you'd have asked me if these were Roman, I would never have thought so... Confusedhock:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Thanks- another laudes for you!
Are these also in silver?

Yes, those two are in silver also. Many details of the various parts resemble single-purpose objects (e.g. spoons, sieves, toothpicks etc.) from the Augst silver hoard cited above
Hi,

here some roman forks, first one in bone and a real fork :lol:
from Pula
[Image: Pula-been.jpg]

another from Pula in bronze
[Image: Pula-brons.jpg]

and here four from Portogruaro
[Image: Portogruaro-brons.jpg]
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
If 4 tines are a fork, and 3 tines are a thork, does that make 2 tines a tork and 5 tines a pork?
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
and we keep on going,

two more from Lyon in bronze
[Image: Lyon.jpg]

and two from Köln, one bronze and one silver
[Image: Kln.jpg]
[Image: Kln2.jpg]

there is also one in the museum of Troye (FR)

cheers

Luc
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
Thanks for the pictures Luc - a laudes for you!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
And from me! Pretty conclusive proof :wink:
Mind you, a nation that mastered aqueducts is pretty unlikely to be put off by the technology made up by a couple of pointy spikes!

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Hi Lucius,

many thanks for the interesting pics!

I was in Pula this summer and saw and photographed that very bone fork there, but I must admit that I have my doubts about its really being Roman. Everything else I have ever seen that is both Roman and (even remotely) looks like a fork is 2- or 3-pronged, but never more than that. Also the handle is of a design I never saw with any other Roman implement, while the handles of the 2- or 3-pronged forks all seem to have handles whose design is mirrored by other instruments, e.g. of the medical range
Hi Martin,

my pleasure
well your doubts where right, I made a call to the Pula museum this morning, and they admit they got it wrong. so thanks for your doubts.

Did you also go to the Zagreb museum to find out that all the roman stuff was in the cellar?

cheers

Luc
LVCIVS VVLPES
Luc De Vos
Hi Luc,

thanks for confirming this and letting me know!

Zagreb - no, was too far away as we were staying on the coast and the rest of the family had a hard time escaping the superheavy gravitation of the beach ... :wink:
Martin,

You have said, and i agree, the hilts of the forks are like medical/surgical implements. So, can we think there are some kind of medical object, better than have used like modern forks?
Quote:So, can we think there are some kind of medical object, better than have used like modern forks?

Some of the forks found seem to have been used as medical instruments indeed, as they accompanying artifacts were all or mostly medical AFAIK, there is however also a fair number that was found together with all kinds of kitchen or dinig utensils so that there can be no doubt of use of forks in conjunction with eating and drinking. I would however guess that the use of forks was rather restricted to a few special occasions, like when you needed to pull something out of its shell or something the like.
Hi all,

finally got around to build a "trial version" of the Swiss Army Knife" from England in brass. I will buy silver shortly and make the real thing then. If anybody should be (seriously) interested in having one made as well, please let me know so I can get an according amount of silver in one go. Cost should be 100.- euros maximum, maybe/hopefully a little less.

[Image: SwissArmyKnifeRecon_01.jpg]

[Image: SwissArmyKnifeRecon_02.jpg]

[Image: SwissArmyKnifeRecon_04.jpg]

Literature see postings above.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Forks? Gashford 22 4,970 02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Last Post: john m roberts