Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace yourselves... LAST LEGION (late Roman film)
now, if we were to re-dub the script and make an unofficial version.

Merlin on the castle wall shouting "I use Dragon Breath Deodorant"! and .. well .. I would think more on that, but then I'd have to watch it again.....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: Confusedhock: :? (
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Makes me wonder why they don't pick a book like Altimari's LEGION to make into a movie? Or heck, while I'm at it, where's my movie contract??? Tongue
Titus Artorius Justus
aka: James M. Mace
Author of:
"Soldier of Rome: The Legionary"
"Soldier of Rome: The Sacrovir Revolt"
"Soldier of Rome: Heir to Rebellion"

http://www.legionarybooks.net
[email protected]
The Last Legion is being released in UK cinemas on 12th Oct - one of my students saw a trailer for it the other day and thought it looked "terrible". Good to know my students are critically aware :wink:
On the strength of the comments on this thread, I may pass on it and go and see Ratatouille instead!!
I want to see that one, just because the Byzantine guy it´s like a clone of my fencing master and friend...or that said my friends.So many years playing Machiavelli (boardgame, not PC), dreaming with Venice and the famous Schiavona sword, and his face of Tunisian market seller -5$ and I´ll cut my own throat- reminds me all the historical politics :lol: And well, he´s a beast negotiating.
-This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how
sheep´s bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.
[Image: escudocopia.jpg]Iagoba Ferreira Benito, member of Cohors Prima Gallica
and current Medieval Martial Arts teacher of Comilitium Sacrae Ensis, fencing club.
The best "Arthur" in the silver screen yet to come is definitely: Dudley Moore
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Went to see it last night what a waste I was expecting to allow a little licence for the film watching majority....But this was the worst film ever it made Arthur King of the Britians look a great piece of film hisatory. I never seen so much rubbish in all my film watching, it shows how bad it is even the Odean is only running it for two days. It was that bad i almost walked out, I went to the first viewing on the first night at 7.15 Friday night and there was all of eight people there. In all why did they do it can't guess was it a tax loss leader for the film company?
folks, you gotta learn to trust Satsobek when she pans a film. LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
We seriously could barely sit through it on DVD and we were eating one of her excellent meals at the time! (I still want to know the secret ingredient).
Big Grin
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
I guess it's the same question as "Why do they go to so much trouble to make the Trooper helmet, the "Julius Caesar gladius", the leather Roman helmet, etc., when for about the same money they could make something really good. It doesn't take great acting to make a good movie, it takes a good story, told believably. With history, it ought to be easier, because we can find out lots of things about what really went on...oh, well...
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
The sad part is that they had some good actors in the budget, but the script couldn't support the abilities of the actors.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
Well, did they wear Pileii Pannoniae? That would help a little, wouldn't it?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Hi
Its not just the fact that in no way did it follow history, I could bare that if the film itself was a good fantsy. But it was nowhere near as good as the conan films were. I don't know what went wrong bad script low budget or just trying to cover to much. I have heard people say the fight scences were good I am sorry i have seen better figts more releastic with renactment groups i have seen and been in. What i find sad is that there are few enough movies about this period made and these send all the wrong signs out.0 to the general public.
I think am right with this, but that lass on the 1st page is called MIRA, and a nice looking lady she is. And if my Spanish aint as rusty as I hope MIRA| means look (or along those lines) which indeed any of us chaps have done. So quite a good name for her really?
Ainsley
Wandering Soldier
I saw a copy of the last legion movie out at a CD shop and was wondering if I should buy it. Borrowed a copy of the book by Manfredi from the library to check out the story. In the book, the character that Aurelius is in love with is called 'Livia' but in the movie she's Mira? Is it the same person or did the change the story a little? Looks like a good cast, but according to the reviews online, it seems almost universally panned Tongue lol:
-Pearl Sachiko R.

"Fight for your opinions, but do not believe that they contain the whole truth, or the only truth" - Charles A. Dana.
It isn't just Roman reenactors that have panned the movie either. I have not seen an enthusiastically positive review yet and it only lasted two days in the theaters where I am at. I'm not exactly in the backwoods either being located in the large part of Virginia near DC. After half a week the movie totally disappeared. The general public does not really care for accuracy, but the movie seemed to lack any form of appeal and I think it actually managed to outdo Pathfinder as a movie bomb. I've actually found people that liked Pathfinder. Not yet found anyone who thinks the Last Legion was a good movie. Honestly, I wouldn't bother picking it up on DVD. If your curiosity is that great I recommend renting it if you cannot wait for it to come out on the premium channels. The movie Eragon made little kids cry, but I think the Last Legion managed to make EVERYONE cry.
Derek D. Estabrook
People will hate me for saying this, but I enjoyed it and consider it better than 'King Arthur' for the following reason;

1. The Romans are atleast quasi-realistic; they have long sleeves, trousers and some accurate-ish equipment.

2. I like Odoacer; he was well acted (though a bit Scottish...) and he looked OK.

3. It is less offensive to the English than 'King Arthur'.

4. It was an adventure that didn't take itself too seriously...unlike 'King Arthur'!

5. The British sounded Welsh.

6. It used less CGI.

It could have been better but I found it to be a fun adventure film; I only wish they make some more realistic late Roman era films in the future as it is for me the most interesting era for Rome and the soldiers looked better in the late period.

I would also love some films where the stars are Germanic warriors as I think they are vast becoming movie Nazis; one of the reasons I think that the English try to be as un-Germanic as possible and try to claim that the English are a Celto-Latin people who merely speak a Germanic language, have a Germanic name for themselves (''English'') and...oh...a Germanic culture!!!!
Aethelfrith: Hard on the outside, soft in the inside!

Name: Aethelfrith...call me Al, though, it would be easier. I would prefer not to give my surname, thanks.