Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brace yourselves... LAST LEGION (late Roman film)
I wish I was joking about this...

http://www.firth.com/lastleg.html

Apparantly some producer stole a garbage truck full of "Zeena" and "King Arthur" props before it could make it to the incinerator.

If he had to bribe the driver, it probable trippled the budjet of this film.

-Similus
aka: Sam Johnson
AKA: Sam Johnson
Agreed. This sagum especially just doesn't look right at all

[url:38yjt6og]http://www.firth.com/images/legion/ap002m.jpg[/url]

:wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
[Image: ar5.jpg]

With a girl that looks like this Confusedhock: who cares if its historical or not!
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
The "Mythical Sword" of Caesar...? :? ? ?

Perhaps they meant the Sword of the "Mythical" Caesar.

From the look of the production stills and the story synopsis this show has the potential of making HBO's Rome the High Water Mark of historic accuracy and authenticity.

Then again, as Primus Paulus rightly points out, with a black clad Byzantine "Ninja" like the one pictured above, does historical accuracy really matter? Confusedhock: :roll:

The gods look down and laugh, if they bother to look down at all...

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
I'm beginning to think that anyone who has ever enrolled in a Roman History course probably fails to receive any information on the Late Roman Empire...I know in mine, we covered AD 193 - AD 410 in one 50 minute session. I know there is a lot about the Later part of the Empire and it's fall that I am missing, but even this movie seems a little far-fetched. Out of sheer disgust, I am speechless...however, I'll probably go and see it anyway
:roll:
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Swords and Sandals!!! C'mon, how can you hate this classic genre?
I think the barbarians look quite OK :wink:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That movie is based on the novel with the same name by the Italian author Valerio M. Manfredi which is of course highly fictional but nonetheless I thought it was an entertraining read.
There is an authentic looking late Roman helmet in there somewhere and the guards have long sleeved tunics come on folks what more do you want? Big Grin
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
What more could we want...?

Well, so long as the projector is in focus, the air con cold and the popcorn warm, the audience quiet and the THX Surround Sound cranked up to within an decibel of making my ear drums bleed...indeed, what more could we want.

Narukami
David Reinke
Burbank CA
Quote:That movie is based on the novel with the same name by the Italian author Valerio M. Manfredi which is of course highly fictional but nonetheless I thought it was an entertraining read.

Entertaining sure, but without almost anything historical hidden in there... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:All three will be released in France by Ben Ammar's distribution outfit Quinta...

Just to embarass the guys and girls up in Arbeia..... :lol: :lol:
[url:2f03wopz]http://www.quintagallorum.co.uk/[/url]
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:I'm beginning to think that anyone who has ever enrolled in a Roman History course probably fails to receive any information on the Late Roman Empire...I know in mine, we covered AD 193 - AD 410 in one 50 minute session. I know there is a lot about the Later part of the Empire and it's fall that I am missing, but even this movie seems a little far-fetched. Out of sheer disgust, I am speechless...however, I'll probably go and see it anyway
:roll:

UCLA fortunately has some excellent courses on the Late Empire under Drs Mellor and Rapp.

Read the book Sad - I'll probably see the movie too, out of morbid curiousity (but I'll wait for the release at the local $3 theater or rent it at Hollywood Video).
hey, at least they didnt give the legion segmentata and gladii
-thanks for reading.

Sean
Quote:hey, at least they didnt give the legion segmentata and gladii
Didn't they? But that's the point from the first chapter - the 'Last Legion' is supposedly a scret weapon, a force outfitted in the way of the 1st-2nd c. army... Ludicrous of course, but that's how the author wrote it!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans