Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map for all romans
Uhm, guys? How's about starting a new thread for all corrections, cause if I have to collect them from emails, PMs, and various threads I will go insane. :?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi
Quote:KNOWN ERRORS ON THE MAP
Masada should move to lat. 31°18'51.24"N long. 35°21'11.30"E

Greetings
Alexandr
Jasper

What if we use this topic for corrections instead of opening a new one?
Tiermes has landed correctly but Iuliobriga has gone astray. Let's try again: Latitude 42.983240 Longitude -4.115923
Probably I made some typo blunder... :?

Alexander

Better if we all use the same, that with decimals, notation for coordinates. It works better for the map. Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
No Aitor, you didn't make a typo mistake, its just how it works. About 10% goes wrong. There's not much to be done against it.

The page to report mistakes is link from old RAT; for the time being, Japser will read only that page, and I will maintain it (i.e., removing items that have already been corrected).
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Thanks for the info, Jona! Big Grin
The map is very slow loading...Should it be interesting to split the sites among modern countries with a reference map to Roman provinces added?
At first I thought about splitting the sites among Roman provinces, but that wouldn't make much sense because there are many non-Roman locations...
What do you think?

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Splitting it into more categories is possible, but perhaps unfun...(since every marker has to be changed by hand).
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:unfun
I concur! Although I see the advantages, we're still making markers blue from the moment we decided to add a new category. I think, dear Aitor, that we can not ask this from Jasper.

What we may possibly do is create a first screen that remains empty (or shows only one marker) and does not load at all.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
OK,
Maybe that empty, swift loading, first screen would work well and make the connection less tiresome for those only looking for groups or persons! Big Grin

Aitor

Rolf Steiner
Map now opens on Reenactment groups only. Won't get much faster.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Okay, I've pinpointed the location of the 2nd Battle of Cremona exactly as shown in The Long Year A.D. 69 by Kenneth Wellesley, but to do the map thing I need to get the coordinates out. How?

I don't have an address as I've centred the map to match the book's map page. Any ideas anyone? The URL has the info but it's a mass of digits, and I don't want to do a Save with the guessed coords just in case it gets stuck there :?

2nd Battle of Cremona on Google Maps
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
GoogleEarth is easier for that purpose. But the bunches of numbers in the URL are the coordinates. Since there are two sets, I assume they represent the top right and bottom left corners of the map.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Since there are two sets, I assume they represent the top right and bottom left corners of the map.

There are four sets in the battle's url. I'll figure it out, no fears, thanks.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Can someone delete the 2nd Battle of Cremona marker I submitted, it came out wrong. I've now installed Google Earth and got the proper coordinates (near Malongola not Cremona). Unfortunately there seem to be offsets involved with some aspects of Google Map, which is where the extra coordinates came from in the url.

I'll submit the proper location if you delete the current one. Thanks.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Yes, someone can do that...
Make sure you get the decimal coordinates, not the minutes, seconds, etc one!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Re-submitted. Fingers crossed.

If anyone hasn't downloaded and installed Google Earthand intends on doing lots of these, I highly recommend you do so.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!