Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Introduction
This is the forum for discussion of ideas and improvements to the RomanArmy.com website, which is being developed (in test form) at www.angelfire.com/o2/jrscline<br>
<br>
When we're ready, we'll go to our domain name: www.romanarmy.com<br>
<br>
Post your feedback here too, thanks.<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
First i've not seen a link to this forum on the .com, this either means there needs to be one, or more likely that I'm a blind dumbass.<br>
<br>
secondly there's a lot of text on the site, and the fonts too small really,imho. Maybe it's the res i'm in, but it'd be better if at least the links were larger, and moved out of the top left corner. once you know they're there it's ok, but they're hard for thickies to find. There are some other things but i can't remember them. <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
No, you're not blind, mate. I haven't gotten a chance this week (I put the board up this weekend) to update the website, but that will follow, probably by the weekend.<br>
<br>
Font is small, you say... I agree but posit it can't be helped, at least until we can reduce the amount of text on each page. Font appearance really depends on the resolution for one's screen. On higher resolutions, RomanArmy.com does look kind of microscopic, but larger fonts on an 800x600 screen look like preschool letters.<br>
<br>
Yes, the left-hand column links stink. I'm thinking my way through that one now. Anyone out there familiar with FrontPage got any ideas?<br>
<br>
Lots of text... that is true too. I've been thinking on this one for a while. The problem for now is that Angelfire (host for the test version) only allows 3 levels of pages. Once we get to our own domain, we're home free, so to speak. Can have as much depth as needed. It may be time to move to www.RomanArmy.com soon. Thoughts?<br>
<br>
When I set up the RomanArmy.com test page, it was strictly for myself alone, to see if my neophyte efforts on FrontPage were viewable. After a while, I started to realize that there was no earthly way I could do all the research and graphics design needed to produce a comprehensive Roman army site, all as a solo effort. I needed help in a major way.<br>
<br>
So I pondered some more. Then after spending some time on the Shogun .org board, voila! Put together a board myself and make it a meeting place for like-minded people who also study and recreate the Roman military.<br>
<br>
So far it (our budding board) looks promising. Off-Topic may end up being a zoo as you say, but that's fine as long as the future Speculatores do their jobs fairly and keep the rest of the board clear of OT threads (and flamers).<br>
<br>
For my part, I'll enjoy dispensing command of my Mighty Imperial Legions on the few who exceed 500 posts, if indeed we do generate that level of enthusiasm. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
have you thought about drop own lists, you can do that I frontpage, I think. For the sub pages eg individual Legion lists and histories, that night work, though it'd be a long list, but woul allow a bitmore space maybe.<br>
<br>
as to legions, it's a long way off, but I putting my Sticky fingers on the IV Scythica. oI'll offer odds on the Augustas' the Ix and the XX being first to go!<br>
<br>
To venture OT, i don't know how long you've been haning around the dojo for, but it's worth rooting around in the OT forum a bit in the old posts. There are only 5 or 6 pages worth but some of the threads you might find interesting Mariko. There's a good one on Pompey Caesar and the like i remember, some good insight, especially off Strat, no surprises there, and some quite entertaining views ofr light relief. A goo thread on the use of Elephant's too. Some of the postson the Roman generals are more for the sake of argument and my generals better than yours, and there's an entertaining 1-10 points scoring system, Pompey's a 6, Hannibals a 3 type thing. But hey, it's OT and a bit of friendly flaming never hurt anybody. <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
I agree wit Catline in the font comments. IMHO, the main site needs more graphics! At the moment it looks just like any old person's little web site. Make yours stand out! My advice is to find someone who is great with graphics (maybe ask around at the Dojo) and get them to design a set of buttons, titles, etc that you can use throughout the site. Maybe a backround that is more specific to the site would be good to. These are just my humble suggestions. <p></p><i></i>
How do you like it now? I've incorporated quite a few of your suggestions.<br>
<br>
Trying to find the best way to use tables now, but the Praetorians subpage is all messed up as a result, so it requires some work. Perhaps I'll have it perfect by the weekend. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

It looks great. When are you going to move to www.romanarmy.com ? <p></p><i></i>
Assuming we continue to add articles and develop the site on its current pace, I expect by March we can make the move to the permanent www.romanarmy.com domain.<br>
<br>
However, the word needs to be spread that we continue to need developers and contributors as well as research editors. It looks like we will also need another moderator or two before long... <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujrscline.showPublicProfile?language=EN>JRSCline</A> at: 1/27/01 12:34:21 am<br></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Sounds good to me. I really could use some help to keep Catiline in line. <p></p><i></i>
I know how to behave in public <p>It's not a bug, it's a feature</p><i></i>
How about a description of Roman army equipments and weapons in the web site? <p></p><i></i>
I started a poll to gather feedback on this possibility. Thanks for reminding me! <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny