Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Hannibal v. Rome" on the NGC
New documentary by the National Geographic Channel premires on Sunday, October 30th.

[url:5zg637v7]http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/hannibal/[/url]
Jaime
Nice documentary, will Vin Diesel's movie be as accurate?
Well, accurate - of course they're using Indian elephants, not African ones! And the Romans wear Imperial Gallic helmets, and use rusty-brown scuta..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
As allways... Let's see when is it gonna change...
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
and here's the next attempt:
http://www.stimme.de/medien/report/art4 ... 40665eca39
Big Grin
--- Marcus F. ---
That BBC-German coproduction sounds good. Inexpensive production, but supposedly it looks so good that the director has been contacted by Hollywood studios to shoot some big movies. Gots to show you that it isn't always necessary to have a 100 million budget.
Aka
Christoph
Greetings,
I just found the page and trailer by accident.....looks rather good....but I don't have TV......!
With everything that is cropping up just lately, I am seriously considering one again....
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
errr... Doctor Bashir as Hannibal?

Or are there two actors named Alexander Siddiq?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
why not - I guess his look is at least closer to the real Hannibal Barca as compared to Washington & Diesel.
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:I just found the page and trailer by accident.....looks rather good....but I don't have TV......!
Don't worry, I'll be making a DVD of it. We'll work something out.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:errr... Doctor Bashir as Hannibal?

Quote:why not - I guess his look is at least closer to the real Hannibal Barca as compared to Washington & Diesel.

Agreed, Hadrian Big Grin

Probably a better actor than those two as well, IMO.

I can't read German so can someone please tell me the release date for this latest version ?
Jaime
Quote:I can't read German so can someone please tell me the release date for this latest version ?

It's not given more precisely than 'next year', but based on previous set-to-air-time from such productions I'm guessing sometime in the middle of next year. Unless they are planning it to coincide with a big event somewhere. What's Hollywood releasing?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:
Arthes:1jwqb5oy Wrote:I just found the page and trailer by accident.....looks rather good....but I don't have TV......!
Thank you......!
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:errr... Doctor Bashir as Hannibal?
Or are there two actors named Alexander Siddiq?
Greetings,
no, it's the same one......Imad, Saladin's Aide de Camp in Kingdom of Heaven, also due to portray Theodorus Andronikos, the Byzantine Emissary in The Last Legion...
He is actually half Sudanse and was born in North Africa....
His Hannibal is due to be released in England in January(possibly 4th) it seems...and is also to be shown in America as well as Germany.

This is a fan's translation of the German page, I found on Alexander's website forum:
Hannibal crossed the alps together with 37 elephants to catch the Romans off-guard. Then there was Cato whose memorable saying "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam" became true some time. We don't know anything else. That is where the BBC benefits from: not in the alps, a suburb of Tunis or Rome but in a quarry near the Bulgarian capital Sofia. There they are filming "Hannibal", together with "Prosieben" as a co-producer. The elephants come from Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, the snow from a canon and the leading actor originally from Sudan. Alexander Siddig plays Hannibal in that - what actually is it?

"It's a Bio-Pic", says the actor who endures the burning sun dressed in his leather-tanned and fur-trimmed armour. The genetically enhanced doctor Dr. Julian Bashir from "Deep Space Nine" looks wild wearing the costume of the [Karthager ], his amber eyes gleaming. "When I wear my costume the women react totally different", he laughs. But there is only one woman in the film, Hannibals wife Himilce. The story is based on facts only, nothing is added or exaggerated. Two researchers and an expert team of university professors were consulted to reconstruct Hannibal's life.

"There are only two sources, Polybius and Livius. The history of Hannibal was only retold by his enemies, the Romans", says Serena Davis the BBC-Researcher. "We'd liked to write some more women into the story. But history is setting us some limits", describes Thomas von Hennet ("prosieben"). That means the film has to do without sex and certain dramatic elements like treachery of his own people because the official sources don't tell anything about it.

The facts are included in dialogues. Hannibal explains his strategies also in retrospect from his exile in Bithynien. That means the viewers won't notice that they are "fed with information", like producer Ailsa Orr says. The ancient Romans also don't told anything about any descendants of Hannibal. "I don't think he didn't have children. I in his place I would have had a lot.", says Siddig, grinning in the Bulgarian quarry.

"It is a factual drama - a film which shows a scientific area to the viewers." That's how Ailsa Orr sees her project. She is at home in the area of facts and also made the BBC-productions "Pompeii" and "Supervolcano". Now it's Hannibal who crossed the alps 218 before Christ with 37 elephants and 55000 soldiers. "I'm in love with this guy since I was six years old", says the serious, beautiful young woman who seems relaxed despite of the stressful filming. "He was so passionate in everything he did." In 28 days 90 minutes of film material are produced and everything with an unusual low budget between three and four million Euro.

Bulgaria is cheaper than the alps but money has to be saved everywhere. There are a lot of Bulgarians working on the set and there are often communication problems. They pave the way to the set in wild costumes with artificial snow in their beards and bristly hair. The "snow" is coming from a shabby fire engine, the costumes are made at the location. "I have only 40000 pound for making the costumes of 400 people including stuntmen and weapons. But I'm a flexible person.", says Isolde Sommerfeldt the costume designer with an optimistic smile. The three elephants were equipped with impressive leather and iron head-pieces.

"I hate to work with animals when you have to use a whip. But here it works the other way around: If the elephants doing something right they get a reward", explains Phil Dolling, the Science Executive Producer of BBC. It was important to Ailsa Orr while searching some elephants that "the animals are being loved", and she didn't spare no expense.

To spent a moment with Sonni Frankello from Platschow in Vorpommern is enough to understand why those three huge animals cope so well with the situation. When Mala, Timba and Kenia get impatient he talk with calm voice and gives them a piece of sugar. It took three days to get the elephants in a truck to Bulgaria. As for Hannibals plan to cross the alps with African elephants he says: "He was crazy. The animals must have suffered a lot." Actually only one elephant survived the torture. They probably froze to death. But Frankellos elephants like it in Bulgaria. "Elephants love changes. Yesterday we visited a source and a mountain. They like that. If something repeats to often they get bored." But with the speed the BBC production is progressing that shouldn't happen.

"Why don't we call it "One of the biggest stories in history?", says director Ed Bazalgette. He already made "Ghenghis Khan" for the BBC a 60 minutes film. Siddig says that Miramax want to have the guy for a Hollywood Blockbuster because he is able to make very authentic films with a very low budget. "I looked closer at "Troy" and "Alexander" to understand how they could spend 80 million dollar on it", explains Bazalgette. And he is proud on his "Hannibal": "We can make big, epic stories with little money". If he is right? We won't have proof until next year when the "Factual-Bio-Pic-Drama" will air on TV.

regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
-
Thanks for that info, Arthes Big Grin wink:

I just saw the Hannibal vs Rome and I thought it was quite good.

The guy playing Hannibal looks Mediterranean (as he should) as well as just about everyone else in the ranks.

The CGI armies were impressive but the armor was a mixed bag although it could've been much worse. It looks like some effort was put into avoiding anachronisms for a change.

They had proper oval scuta and simple short chain mail shirts (real ones) with no sleaves. But the Romans wore Gallic helmets. However it looks like they had pseudo-Republican type helmets but they were worn by the Carthaginians :?

And they had the ubiquitous (on TV anyway) leather musculatae worn by Hannibal and Scipio. I loved the pteruges on Scipio's. 8)

The CGI battle maps were very impressive as well.

In terms of content, as usual these documentaries tend to tell the story a bit too faithfully from the Roman version of events. But overall it was a very well done production, IMO.

I'll buy it Smile
Jaime
Quote:
Arthes:1zh1iqrh Wrote:I just found the page and trailer by accident.....looks rather good....but I don't have TV......!
Well, first NG must show the documentary on Dutch cable TV! :evil:
They didn't, so far... :evil:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hannibal: Enemy of Rome trailer ParthianBow 6 2,430 06-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,855 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus