Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Historically recreated wines
Chris, here's a link to a blog discussing recreation of wine at Pompeii: [url:2vipix0s]http://blogs.discovery.com/news_archaeorama/2007/10/pompeiis-wine.html[/url]

It says, in part, "Mastroberardino and the Archaeological Superintendence began growing experimental vines using the traces of Pompeii's old vines in 1996, when varieties similar to those buried under 9 feet of volcanic ash were planted in exactly the spots where they stood 2,000 years ago.

The result is the Villa dei Misteri, a ruby-red, full-bodied wine. Blending two local varieties - Columbina Purpurea and Vitis Oleagina – the wine gets its name from the Villa of Mysteries, one of Pompeii's famous frescoed houses."

Sadly, it's not commercially available: many of the 2,000 bottles produced are auctioned off to benefit archaeological restoration projects.
Iulia Sempronia (Sara Urdahl)
Officium ante Proprium Bonum
Alas, I quit drinking 14= years ago. :lol:
This information is so interesting Julilla. I'm still working on my map of the ancient wine trade, because it's so connected with amphorae.
Saluti, Love and Light
Iulia Cassia Vegetia
a.k.a Julia Passamonti-Colamartino
Legio III Cyrenaica
Maker of Amphorae
<a class="postlink" href="http://venetiancat.com">http://venetiancat.com
Once I learned to herd cats, I realized that ANYTHING is possible..."
Iulia dear, you can appreciate wine without drinking it, and studying history's a great way to do that! I am leaving to indulge my other passion (motorcycle touring) or I'd post more about wine, including the nastiest concoction: wine mixed with seawater!
Iulia Sempronia (Sara Urdahl)
Officium ante Proprium Bonum
Caius Fabius\\n
Quote:I don't know why modern people seem to like dry wine. It is not historically Ancient Roman. The dry wines were wines that had become less than sweet. Posca is made from wine vinegar and considered the lowest form of drink. In the writings of Pliny and others there are recipes for returning sweetness to wine that has gone sour. The Romans and Judeans liked sweet wine. (Read Jesus' first miracle.)

I found a wonderful 18% alcohol, sweet wine during my stay in Pompeii this September. It was sweeter than the "Tears of Christ" red or white, and called the "Blood of Guido" (is that God or Jesus)? Wonderful, thick, sweet, red wine grown in the soil near Vesuvius. Now I am trying to find some in the USA, with absolutely no luck.

I will pay a bounty plus cost and shipping for more of this wine, and I'll buy it by the case. Big Grin

caius, im goingthere in late september please give me all your best recommends and i'll see what one roman may be able to ensure for another, frater!
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"
am i to understand that molsum is a honeyed wine either red or white and that it was commonly heated and served at the baths? also is it true that the blush wines were the excessivley watered down or remnants in fact of better wines and that this was the drink of the soldiers and such. thanks
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"