Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Quick Question Regarding First Century Calcei
Hello all, 

I am just starting getting into Roman reenacting and am looking at making my own calcei, and am looking for a pretty closed design for the sake of being able to do an immunes smithing impression without trying to burn my toes off, but I am having some problems finding some sourceable closed calcei patterns and was told to ask here.

Thank you everyone for your help,

Dev Cannon IV.
(12-27-2018, 06:30 PM)DevereauxIV Wrote: Hello all, 

I am just starting getting into Roman reenacting and am looking at making my own calcei, and am looking for a pretty closed design for the sake of being able to do an immunes smithing impression without trying to burn my toes off, but I am having some problems finding some sourceable closed calcei patterns and was told to ask here.

Thank you everyone for your help,

Dev Cannon IV.

I would suggest sticking with regular Caligae and wearing a leather sock or foot wrapping it should suffice to protect your foot and there is some evidence for it..

There are other options depending on the time in the first century and later, the most practical though is most likely a pair of wooden soled "Mules" or "Clogs" (though these are rare in reports) this is basically regular "Sculponea" with the front of the foot fully covered, untill the early 20th century similar ideas were still in use amongst metal workers and foundry men... use any reasonable hardwood for the sole: Maple, Ash, Oak, Beech etc anything that would be native to Europe and the Med.

Wooden soled "Mule" from Saalburg now lost  (Saalburg Jahrbuch XXII 1965, pg 198, No 649) no date suggested, found in well 57.

The leather part, an example from Pomeroeul:

The Wooden sole, these examples from Saalburg but some are for the open toe variety:

Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Century Hammer Question Titus Tiberius Crispus 2 1,490 02-22-2008, 11:05 AM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Vth century calcei Agraes 4 1,960 01-02-2008, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Hugh Fuller
  1st century BC Centurion question maius 37 8,659 07-31-2007, 08:34 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar