Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
equites 1st century AD
hey all,

I'm completely new to the roman reananactment, only having done 15th century for over 10 years.
For the last few years I've been focussing on the equestrian side of the hobby, and joined stichting HEI (do have a look!).
This year I've been asked to help out in an equestrian show of them as roman cavalry.
I've only done 1 roman show in the past, with Ala Batavorum (Jurjen's group who frequently joins up with the stichting HEI riders) as a replacement rider.
That's why I've now decided to start a small but modest equites kit of my own, since borrowing stuff from others is always just a temporary solution.

Right now I'm looking at aquiring the basic garments to wear onderneath the military garment  of a 1st century AD equites.
So far I'm getting some Caligae by fabrica cacti and a leather bracae.
The rest of the kit i'd love to make myself.
However here I run into lots of questions.
I've acquired Graham Sumners Roman military dress but would still love everyones advice on what might be good starter garments.
Oh, and some tips on how those damn clavi were sewn on.  I assume they are the same bfabric as the rest of the garment but just dyed but how were they sewn on? Huh

Any advice is most welcome whil I do my reading up! Big Grin
The RAT forums on here are pretty much dead. If you want some more responses to your post I would suggest going to the Roman Army Talk facebook page, joining that, and then asking your questions again. 

Everyone pretty much left the forum a few years ago when facebook really took off.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its  warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by  fools."

-Thucydides

2LT Joseph Biggie
As for the Clavii, it seems in period that they were sewn into the fabric when they were on the loom. The stripes were literally part of the fabric, just some whatever color threads woven in with the threads from the rest of the tunic if that makes sense.

Since 99.99% of the reenactors nowadays dont have a loom at home to handmake their own tunics, most people just fold over the edges and stitch a 2 inch wide strip of fabric onto their tunic. 
Is it cheating? Yes. Did they do it that way back then? No. But short of buying a hand loom and spending 50 hours making a tunic from scratch yourself, thats the best way to do it. Try to find a thread that matches the color of the clavii so when you sew it, you cant see the stitching.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its  warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by  fools."

-Thucydides

2LT Joseph Biggie
(06-06-2018, 06:12 PM)2biggij Wrote: As for the Clavii, it seems in period that they were sewn into the fabric when they were on the loom. The stripes were literally part of the fabric, just some whatever color threads woven in with the threads from the rest of the tunic if that makes sense.

Since 99.99% of the reenactors nowadays dont have a loom at home to handmake their own tunics, most people just fold over the edges and stitch a 2 inch wide strip of fabric onto their tunic. 
Is it cheating? Yes. Did they do it that way back then? No. But short of buying a hand loom and spending 50 hours making a tunic from scratch yourself, thats the best way to do it. Try to find a thread that matches the color of the clavii so when you sew it, you cant see the stitching.

Thanks! it's a shame, as a forum definetly is easier to keep the knowledge going.Anyway, guess I better head over to facebook! Wink