Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imperial Gallic D Helm
Have a question on Imperial-Gallic D helm, the one destroyed in WWII. 
Hilary & John Travis say in "Roman Helmets" that "the leading edge of the peak was inlaid with a bronze herringbone pattern".
Are there any sources (texts, drawings) from the time the helm was still intact that give more details on how that bronze pattern looked like?
There is a fairly nice reconstruction, yet I see at least 3 elements that do not match the orginal https://www.royaloakarmoury.com/portfoli...-gallic-d/ 
Anyone has an idea how accurate is the peak's inlay here compared to the original?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The maker of that particular helmet, Jeffrey Hildebrandt, will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Regarding the accuracy of that, or any custom helmet, often the customer will ask for small modifications that they prefer that are not present on the artifact. Sometimes this is due to the artifact being incomplete, sometimes the artifact itself may have unusual modifications that are not present on other similar examples and sometime the buyer can't afford an exact replica so something has to be changed. As a buyer of his and other custom helmets, sometimes I just want the helmet to be modified for no other reason than it is what I prefer. Drop Jeff an e-mail and I'm sure he will respond when he has time.
Joe Balmos
I think the original is shown with a description and a series of photos in Russel Robinsons "The Armour of Imperial Rome" there may be a reference in there? unfortunatly I no longer have a copy so cant help further....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Here you go  Wink

I had to split the text on two photos.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
(10-12-2017, 01:16 PM)Creon01 Wrote: The maker of that particular helmet, Jeffrey Hildebrandt, will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have. Regarding the accuracy of that, or any custom helmet, often the customer will ask for small modifications that they prefer that are not present on the artifact. Sometimes this is due to the artifact being incomplete, sometimes the artifact itself may have unusual modifications that are not present on other similar examples and sometime the buyer can't afford an exact replica so something has to be changed. As a buyer of his and other custom helmets, sometimes I just want the helmet to be modified for no other reason than it is what I prefer. Drop Jeff an e-mail and I'm sure he will respond when he has time.

Thank you very much for the lead. 
By no means thought to question the skills and attention Mr. Hildebrandt gives to the details of his replica, it's a masterfull work with remarkable feel of proportions. I am arranging some simplification for my own replica of Gallic D as well - bronze instead of silver/enamel/coral.
Do you think I can reach Jeffry through offical email of Royal Oak Armory?
(10-12-2017, 02:47 PM)Crispianus Wrote: I think the original is shown with a description and a series of photos in Russel Robinsons "The Armour of Imperial Rome" there may be a reference in there? unfortunatly I no longer have a copy so cant help further....

Surely, studied Robinson and any other sources I could find, Travis and Royal Oak Armory were the only ones that gave idea of the inlay.
(10-12-2017, 03:12 PM)brennivs - tony drake Wrote: Here you go  Wink

I had to split the text on two photos.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin

Thank you very much, Brennivs. Actually with the magnification of fotos you attached the inlay is clearly visible (I had smaller size fotos), and it looks very much the way replica is done. Or rather vice versa Smile
Try here: Jeffrey <[email protected]>

He's usually responsive unless he's on a tight deadline.
Joe Balmos
(10-16-2017, 02:51 PM)Creon01 Wrote: Try here: Jeffrey <[email protected]>

He's usually responsive unless he's on a tight deadline.

Thank you

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Imperial Gallic J - Robinson's mistake? Konstantin Ankilov 6 2,367 01-24-2021, 12:44 PM
Last Post: Militarus
  Roman helmets: Imperial Gallic/Italic and Ridge - comparisons and sources CaesarAugustus 92 18,111 12-16-2020, 08:39 PM
Last Post: CaesarAugustus
  Imperial Gallic I Moguntiacum Marc 3 1,833 07-16-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: drsrob