Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vindonissa Rosette Help
To All,

I was looking through a page that I was once given long ago of the Vindonissa Catalogue.  On this page, there were several rosettes.  There is one in particular with a star design that interested me.  Does anyone know where any actual photo of this rosette can be found instead of the attached drawings  I am not clear on one detail mainly…..the arms of the star on the original are raised above the borders that surround them or are the borders higher and the star arms sunken or flat.

Best

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo
(09-26-2017, 03:26 AM)Doc Wrote: To All,

I was looking through a page that I was once given long ago of the Vindonissa Catalogue.  On this page, there were several rosettes.  There is one in particular with a star design that interested me.  Does anyone know where any actual photo of this rosette can be found instead of the attached drawings  I am not clear on one detail mainly…..the arms of the star on the original are raised above the borders that surround them or are the borders higher and the star arms sunken or flat.

Best

No attachment visible, do you mean one of these?:

From: "Katalog der Militaria aus Vindonissa Militärische Funde" Tafel 31

I haven't seen them but would think that the star design is very slightly raised above the surface following the profile shown...

Ok once I posted the attachment was visible seems to be No 651: Inv Nr 19:651 Schutthügel 1919. rote einlage aus koralle? (Red coral Inlay?)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Hello Ivor,

Thank you for the reply.  I think that the borders around the arms of the stars are slightly raised and the star shapes in the border, raised slightly more so they are visible.
I wish I could see the original.  The description in the catalogue is rather vague.  Regarding the year it was found and the article, I do not think I will be able to retrieve it.

Cheers
"You have to laugh at life or else what are you going to laugh at?" (Joseph Rosen)

Paolo

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Helmet rosette inlay question Doc 0 802 10-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Last Post: Doc