Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Adze reconstruction
As I do sometimes a lot of repairs when I am away, I have always wanted a Adze I have all the metal bashing gear but not much for wood so I am making some working tools. The other will be a plane but I want something just a bit bigger than a block plane  Smile
But first I am going to use this, to make something like this;
            Wink
Now there will be no how too on this one but the only difference will be a rounded shaft and not square as origonal. I will post as soon as I can.   Smile Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Hi Tony,

Why are you making a round shaft, when both your starting piece and the original seem to be square? Nice project! Looking forward to the outcome.

Did you get my PM, by the way?
Salvete et Valete

Nil volentibus arduum

Robert P. Wimmers
www.erfgoedenzo.nl/Diensten/Creatie Big Grin
There is a problem with the square shaft on the doner piece it has a rectangular hole non of the originals have this ( and someone will post one Just my luck Angry  ) anyway It would have annoyed me knowing that.  I finished it and have tried it out and it is great  both Adze and hammer ends, I thought that one end would be best as a tool, but both actually work equally. I have used ash for the shaft, here are the photos  Smile

This is the cut along a length of timber I used it on nice even cut so successful roll on the plane  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Since I have honed the cutting edge I made a leather sheath to protect the blade  Smile I hope no one asks me to do a statue of Caesar from a tree log Tongue

Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

The Adze came in a few weeks ago at Arbiea. One of the fencing off poles had a point missing so out it came and in a few minutes shaved it down back to a point worked brillant  Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kalkriese adze-hammer size? brennivs - tony drake 7 2,186 08-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Last Post: Marcus Mummius