Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early first century hamata questions
Hello

some years back i constructed a hauberk of 5/16 id rings, the back was a little wider and taller than the front and the arm holes were made by adding a strip under the arm and it fit rather comfortably.
what i would like to know is, was the roman hamata designed the same or was it just two rectangles with a single seam under the arm like in B?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Shawn Hamburg
To my knowledge this is not knowen but sculpture seems to show what you have drawen A. The type B may have restricted your arm movements. I have made two hamatas and I have done the A way, with a top and bottom then joined at the chest. This is the way I think they would have done this mass production wise. They could have done it in one piece if wanted, but one day a full set from the period may be found.Again someone out there might have better knowledge  Smile
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
ok thats how ill make it then   Smile
is there any evidence of the hata being tinned? that would sure make the upkeep much simpler.
Shawn Hamburg
Again not to my knowledge plus the constant rubbing of rings would remove it fairly quickly. Hamata is a dirty armour to wear your hands do get quite grubby as well as your tunic. There has been some mail found with silver scales on so that's as close as it gets.
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early lanciarii of the 3rd century in Roman Army G.S. 0 171 03-05-2023, 10:19 AM
Last Post: G.S.
  Civilian Dress of the early 1st century, help sought Clavdivs 0 957 12-30-2017, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Clavdivs
  Tunica Manicata in the early third century? Septimius Victorinus 6 2,948 06-07-2015, 07:28 PM
Last Post: Septimius Victorinus