Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Socketed pilum
I've just received a very nice socketed pilum head (link below) and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on hafting for this particular head type. Presumably no contemporary wooden parts survive but is there a general consensus or any visual evidence on whether they had the flared top (like the Oberaden tanged pila, except presumably cone shaped rather than squared off) or just a plain straight haft? (see attached image)

Any advice much appreciated,

Thanks!

socketed pilum head

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)
The pictures are right just a straight pole for the socket pila, I have made a few of both types and the soldier carried one of each heavy and light.
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Thanks Brenninus. So that would be the example on the left of the picture I attached before is correct not the one on the right.

Are there any images of pila with plain hafts like this? I have only ever seen the type on the right in sculpture, although what head is being depicted is often difficult to judge.

Thanks
Pericles of Rhodes (AKA George)
Yes it is the pila on the left. You probably  will not see this version of the pila on sculpture as the one on the right is the first one thrown so would be the one picked up first, as well as too show anyone what will be coming at them as propaganda  Confused Angry  unless someone knows better Wink 
Regards Brennivs  Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,284 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert