Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12th century Byzantine Illustrations of Costume and Soldiers
Lightbulb 
I have a small collection of 12th century Byzantine Illustrations of Costume and Soldiers:

Greek Psalter, Byzantine, 12th century. Biblioteca Apostolica Vaticana, Rome, Vat.gr.1927[/url]
Saints Theodore, George and Demetrius on a Steatite, Cherson, Byzantine, early 12th century
Frankish, Saracen & Byzantine costume in the 'Melisende Psalter', 1131-43 AD
Plates depicting the Byzantine folk hero, Digenis Akritas, 12th century
Scylitzes Chronicle, <i>Codex Græcus Matritensis Ioannis Skyllitzes</i>, Byzantine Italy, c.12th Century
Bowl with the Ascension of Alexander the Great, Byzantine, 12th century. State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, W-72
Dish with the Ascension of Alexander the Great, Byzantine, 12th century. State Hermitage Museum, St. Petersburg, W-1501
David and Goliath, Byzantine Psalter, Palestine or Cyprus, 12th century. BL Add MS 40753
Saint George on an alabaster plaque, Byzantine, 12th century. Archaeological Museum inv. 1000, Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
Byzantine Ivory Casket with Soldiers, 12th century. Bode Museum DSC03515.
Soldiers in an 'Octateuch'. Byzantine, 12th century. Codex Vaticanus Pal. Graec. 746, Biblioteca Apostolica, Vatican.
Carved Column Capitals in the Cloister of Monreale Cathedral near Palermo in Sicily, 1174 to 1182 AD
Frescoes of military saints in the Agioi Anargyroi basilica at Kastoria, late 12th century
Frescoes in the Nicholas tou Kasnitzi church at Kastoria, late 12th century
Frescoes in the Enkleistra (cave church) of St. Neophytos, Paphos, Cyprus, 1182-1196AD
Byzantine influenced figures on the doors of a lamp or burner in shape of domed building, Sicily or Southern Italy, late 12th century. Treasury of San Marco, Venice.
Fresco of Joshua, Hosios Loukas (St. Lucas) monastery in Boeotia, Greece, 12th-13th century

There are also Ivory Alter Panels, 12th century, of post-Byzantine Greeks in Norman southern Italy or Sicily. 12th century, Museo Diocesano, Salerno.

Are there other useful Byzantine military illustrations from this century?

Druzhina
12th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
[url=http://warfare.ml/Byzantine.htm]
Hi, Druzhina

Byzantine soldiers from the "Salerno Ivories", 11th-12th century (Diocesan Museum of Salerno, Italy)

arrivederci,
Emilio

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(01-24-2017, 04:23 PM)emilius Wrote: Hi, Druzhina

Byzantine soldiers from the "Salerno Ivories", 11th-12th century (Diocesan Museum of Salerno, Italy)

arrivederci,
Emilio
Thanks Emilio,

I do have some images of Ivory Alter Panels, 12th century, Museo Diocesano, Salerno, of post-Byzantine Greeks (called Griffons) in Norman southern Italy or Sicily. But you are right that they can give an idea of Byzantine costume.  Your detail photos will be useful.

Druzhina 
12th Century Illustrations of Costume & Soldiers
I don't seem to be able to access Druzhina's "warfare" site pictures when I hit his links. A page comes up, but it's just black with a link about protection and another about copyright - but no pictures. Am I doing something wrong?

Steven
(05-02-2019, 05:34 AM)egfroth1 Wrote: I don't seem to be able to access Druzhina's "warfare" site pictures when I hit his links. A page comes up, but it's just black with a link about protection and another about copyright - but no pictures. Am I doing something wrong?

Steven

The alterVista account has been suspended and the site is now available here: http://warfare.tk/index.htm
aka T*O*N*G*A*R

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Byzantine or Byzantine influenced illustrations from the 15th century Druzhina 0 2,179 11-25-2017, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Druzhina
Lightbulb Illustrations of Byzantine soldiers from the Psalter of Theodore of Caesarea, 11thC Druzhina 1 2,188 08-23-2016, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Chludov Psalter, Byzantine, 9th century Druzhina 1 2,846 05-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs