Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mending chinstrap loops on a Gallic G
Hi, I recently bought a Deepeeka Gallic G helmet and have been very impressed with it overall, except that the attachments for the loops for the leather chinstrap are very feeble and one has now come off entirely, and the other half way to doing so. I could seek to exchange the helmet, but it would be a hassle, and I suspect I would simply end up with another helmet with the same issue. How does one go about mending them? Could anyone kind enough to respond to this remember they are dealing with an idiot with the metalworking skill of a monkey and a rather basic toolbox.
Many thanks
Regards, Duncan
(12-08-2016, 08:49 AM)Gallic G Wrote: Hi, I recently bought a Deepeeka Gallic G helmet and have been very impressed with it overall, except that the attachments for the loops for the leather chinstrap are very feeble and one has now come off entirely, and the other half way to doing so. I could seek to exchange the helmet, but it would be a hassle, and I suspect I would simply end up with another helmet with the same issue. How does one go about mending them? Could anyone kind enough to respond to this remember they are dealing with an idiot with the metalworking skill of a monkey and a rather basic toolbox.
Many thanks

Post an image of the defect as this will likely help people to answer your question Wink
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Hopefully the pictures will turn up, but there really isn't much to show - the attachment has come away from the rivet, because the rivet has hardly splayed at all. I assume I have to get rid of the rivet, but it is still tight, so how to do that without damaging the decorative stud on the outside I don't know - pincers? I also need replacement rivets, but I've never done riveting before; happy to give it a go, but don't want to write the helmet off in the process.  From the way this is made, I'm guessing it's a rather common problem

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Regards, Duncan
(12-08-2016, 07:23 PM)Gallic G Wrote: Hopefully the pictures will turn up, but there really isn't much to show - the attachment has come away from the rivet, because the rivet has hardly splayed at all. I assume I have to get rid of the rivet, but it is still tight, so how to do that without damaging the decorative stud on the outside I don't know - pincers? I also need replacement rivets, but I've never done riveting before; happy to give it a go, but don't want to write the helmet off in the process.  From the way this is made, I'm guessing it's a rather common problem

Unfortunatly you'd likely have to drill the rivet out, this is probably best done on the outside and would need to be carefully done so as not to damage the decorative washer, remove the cheek piece from the helmet, center punch the very center accuratly of the rivet and drill with a drill the size of the rivet shank to the depth of the rivet head it should then come away leaving the decoratve washer free to remove, punch out the remains of the rivet with a suitable punch..... after this replace the parts with a new rivet, you may need to clear the holes with a suitable drill, cut rivet to length 3mm extra should be enough and peen it over on the inside, you'll need something solid to rest the rivet head on to act as a reaction block.. good luck
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Oh dear, that sounds every bit as terrifying as I feared, but many thanks for the advice.
Regards, Duncan
Duncan can you pull the pins out to detach the cheek gaurds ?
Regards Brennivs Big Grin
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
No, they don't seem very keen to move at all, although whilst trying, I had a good pull at the offending rivet with the pliers, and that suddenly came out! I might have to file the end off to remove it from the decorative mount, but that makes the whole job a lot easier. It shows why it came off in the first place - the rivet was hardly secured at all.
Regards, Duncan
I am afraid Iupitor is not looking down on you Cry  If you could have taken them off I would have replaced them for you Wink if you could post them too me, braised the rings solid and put a bit heavier brass to hold the rings to the plates.
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Oh, Tony, that is an incredibly kind offer, thank you. They do seem pretty secure, being slightly curved rather than straight, but if the offer stands, I'll certainly have another go! Whether I can or can't, many thanks again for your kindness.
Regards, Duncan
Yep it still stands Smile If you use a rod as a drift gently tap with a hammer, and knock the rod out enough to pull with pliers Wink
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Success! I'll drop you a pm.
Regards, Duncan
PM also sent Wink
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
Duncan as with all things even mundain, I am looking at origonal loop fastening on cheek gaurds to see what  and how they cut the metal to hold the loops to see if it was chop chop or a little more thought to it ? I have had a quick look in Robinson and a triangle piece of metal was used but I dare say they are also more elaborate and fancy ways of attachment  Cool so will see what comes up Smile
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs
That will be interesting to know - with such a small sample of helmets to work from now, it would be interesting to know how much leeway the individual workshops had in producing standard patterns, especially with regard to the details like this.
Regards, Duncan
Duncan package arrived  Smile problem is caused by the rosset, they must be domed in the middle the rivet is cut and as it is hammered the rosset flatterns and the rivet becomes too long and then bends to one side Angry = bad rivet hold. So I will straighten it all out. As I am in the work shop how about since its Saturnalia, a couple of brass Christmas trees with baubles  like a Italic D  Cool on the side of the plates  Cry Wink Big Grin  will be in touch Angel
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
                     Caratacvs