Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Miliary Drills
Hello,

I'm a middle school Latin teacher, and my head of school wants me to organize "Roman Soldier" drills with the students. I know my Roman history, but I am NOT a military historian. My reply was that to my knowledge, Roman soldiers marched long distances (post Marius) carrying quite a lot of gear, and were famous for covering incredible amounts of ground, but I was unaware that they did parade ground drills.

Anyone know? Are there any re-enactors in Washington State?

Thanks in advance,

Maripat Webber
(11-30-2016, 05:58 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Hello,

I'm a middle school Latin teacher, and my head of school wants me to organize "Roman Soldier" drills with the students. I know my Roman history, but I am NOT a military historian. My reply was that to my knowledge, Roman soldiers marched long distances (post Marius) carrying quite a lot of gear, and were famous for covering incredible amounts of ground, but I was unaware that they did parade ground drills.

Thanks in advance,

Maripat Webber

Hello,

I'm not sure they had parade drills, but they trained to perform complex manoeuvres, both while transferring from one place to another and on the battlefield.

Regarding re-enacting groups in Washington State, the Roman Reenactor Survey gives only a Legio VI Ferrata's 2nd Cohort in Portland and a Legio VIIII Hispania in Victoria, but I'll leave the answer to fellow American reenactors.

Best regards
---
Salvatore Falco

vel

Furius Togius Claudius Quintillus
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100010431916603
(12-01-2016, 08:51 PM)panairjdde - Thanks for the reply -- that pretty much confirms what I surmised. I can teach them some commands and get them to walk in unison, I suppose. The Head just can\t get his head around kid s enjoying learning Latin and Roman history unless costumes and action are involved!Thanks again,Maripat Webber Wrote:
(11-30-2016, 05:58 PM)[email protected] Wrote: Hello,

Thanks in advance,

Maripat Webber

Hello,

I'm not sure they had parade drills, but they trained to perform complex manoeuvres, both while transferring from one place to another and on the battlefield.

Regarding re-enacting groups in Washington State, the Roman Reenactor Survey gives only a Legio VI Ferrata's 2nd Cohort in Portland and a Legio VIIII Hispania in Victoria, but I'll leave the answer to fellow American reenactors.

Best regards
James Franklin is head of Legio VI Ferrata Cohort II.

There is the freely avaialble Ludus Militis Tactica which you can find here:

http://rustyatrpg.wixsite.com/legiovi/drill-manual
Gratias tibi ago, Flavie! Flavivs Aetivs
There’s a great manual here;

http://www.romanarmy.net/pdf/Members%20H...Manual.pdf

Parade drill is controversial. 

Some groups refuse to do it in the absence of manuals or other evidence, however I find it hard to believe that they could do their complex battlefield manoeuvres without basic and advanced parade groups undo drill and practice.

People walking together for a long period naturally fall into step and rhythm. I very much doubt that the legions wouldn’t have taken advantage of that tendency to help with timing of battlefield manoeuvres. Historically accurate? I can’t prove it. Human nature? That hasn’t changed significantly in 2000 years...