Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Port construction
Ave, civitas,

In the book I have, "Engineering in the Ancient World" I can find no reference to the Romans driving pilings for the construction of piers and quays.

I would assume they could, but I would like some information on how they did it.

As always, thanks.
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)
(09-26-2016, 04:24 AM)Lothia Wrote: Ave, civitas,

In the book I have, "Engineering in the Ancient World" I can find no reference to the Romans driving pilings for the construction of piers and quays.

I would assume they could, but I would like some information on how they did it.

As always, thanks.

Using a drop hammer (or Piledriver) a large suspended weight, you drive the piles into the river bed, most likely a simple machine (there are a number of likely variations including a sheer leg crane) could be mounted on a raft(flat bottomed barge or boat) as its easier to move it from one pile to the next where it would be anchored in position, in short all the necesary mechancal designs were available to Romans and had been for centuries:

BBC docu on building Caesars Bridge across the Rhine:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x23oamt...shortfilms

You may need to search online for "Secrets of the Ancients Caesars Bridge" to find a video that will work in your area....

Unfortunatly I dont know of any papers on this specific subject...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Thank you for your quick reply. The link worked. Very interesting.
Tom
AKA Tom Chelmowski

Historiae Eruditere (if that is proper Latin)