Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek Hoplite Spear
Does anyone know where I can buy a high quality Greek Hoplite Spear (Dory)?
Connor DeLoach
Few companies that I know of sell readymade spears; usually they expect you to buy the parts and assemble them yourself.  Manning Imperial of Australia sells several spearheads and sauroters; I believe they have a good reputation, and they're certainly, er, high-end.  For the low-end market, Kult of Athena's small spear head has received some recommendation.  MRL has recently introduced a javelin head that looks acceptable, although I think the KoA spearhead has a better shape. and it's cheaper -- only drawback would be if you don't like a split socket.

I don't know of anyone who sells a decent lower-price sauroter.  Deepeeka markets one, but it's only sold alongside a big heavy bronze spearhead.

I'm currently mounting a spearhead (not a Greek one) and I've found that about eight ounces/227g is the heaviest weight for a spearhead that seems feasible.  That's partly my less-than-impressive arm strength, but I do believe that the majority of originals were lighter and smaller than most modern mass-produced ones.

It's been recommended to me that one commission a local blacksmith you can work with, in order to get a product that is both unique and meets your specifications.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Hoplite carving knife jabames 4 3,033 05-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Last Post: Peter Raftos
  Is "hoplite" Greek? PMBardunias 15 3,993 10-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Ariobarzanes
  Question about the origin of the Greek hoplite shield Dithrambus 38 9,751 09-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Last Post: PMBardunias