Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Douglas Wilmer 1920-2016
British character actor Douglas Wilmer has passed away after a long and successful career.

Wilmer appeared in many of the classic epic movies of the early 1960's including 'El Cid' and 'Cromwell'. He was adept at depicting both heroes and villains and equally at home on stage and both large and small screens with a distinctive commanding velvety voice and dark handsome features.

However he might be more familiar to RAT members for his roles in 'Cleopatra', 1963 as Decimus, while in 'The Fall of the Roman Empire', he played one of Commodus' cronies, Niger and in the Charlton Heston production 'Antony and Cleopatra', 1972 where he portrayed Admiral Agrippa.

He also took on the role of the villainous King Pelias in 'Jason and the Argonauts', 1963.

Latter day audiences also knew him as one of the best actors to play Sherlock Holmes.

He will be sadly missed. R.I.P.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Cry That is sad news, I do remember him playing Moutamin in a convicing Moorish portrayal in El Cid, still one of my favourite films & I also remember his character Sir Thomas Fairfax in Cromwell. Not Roman roles but still memorable.  Cry 

Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"