Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Show here your Roman soldier impression
Looking good, Jyrki!
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thanks guys! Yes, this a a squamata made by Al Hamdd in which the scales are arranged a bit looser.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
So what are you supposed to be, the tribunis/praefectus/praepositus?
Quote:So what are you supposed to be, the tribunis/praefectus/praepositus?

Dux! Wink Seriously, a some kind of lower status officer, I guess.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Great Impression! I hope to get a Deurne Helmet as well this summer, I'd like to go to Castra Romana in a fancy-ass Late Roman outfit. Big Grin

Where'd you get the greaves?
Thanks Evan! My greaves are modified Deepeeka ""Hippika Gymnasia" greaves (knee caps away etc.)...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Jyrki, did your last squamata shoulders 'settle' any after some wear?
Mine have the wing effect too.... :unsure:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Jyrki, did your last squamata shoulders 'settle' any after some wear?
Mine have the wing effect too.... :unsure:

Byron, it is difficult to say because I have used them so little. I think that in the end they just might, due to the softening of the leather. Here's two more pics:

[Image: d379e7a9770612126d5aa77b2fd1a7c8_zpsd7baed8a.jpg]

[Image: 781bbf0350dc69a79a61a039515ef140_zps542f44fd.jpg]
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
You may already have said this, but does it close on the sides? Buckle straps? What holds the doubler on the body?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Quote:You may already have said this, but does it close on the sides? Buckle straps? What holds the doubler on the body?

David, I suppose you mean the squamata? I have it open on both sides and it has holes in the leather rim which holds the strings which I use to tighten it. I am a kind of symmetry freak, I quess Wink...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Jyrki: I have OCD too, don't worry Big Grin

Also, it seems to me, that the collar is intergrated with the torso. Funny, I've always thought, that it is a separate addition. Or are there two versions?
Mark - Legio Leonum Valentiniani
Quote:Jyrki: I have OCD too, don't worry Big Grin

Also, it seems to me, that the collar is intergrated with the torso. Funny, I've always thought, that it is a separate addition. Or are there two versions?

György, I think there are two versions available.
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
Quote:Thanks guys! Yes, this a a squamata made by Al Hamdd in which the scales are arranged a bit looser.
If I were you I'd remove at least two rows across the shoulder, and perhaps one or more between the neck and the shoulder:
[attachment=7314]jyrkisquamata.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I don't wish to sound rude to Al Hamdd but much of their armour tends to forget that the human shoulders are not horizontal but slope downwards, in looking at this armour it is no where reaching the shoulders correctly and sticks up at the ends.
It would need to be opened at the shoulder seam and scales taken out to taper from outside edge towards the top near the neck this way it would lay down better and look smarter.
Brian Stobbs
Brian, someone must have made a collar which sits differently on the shoulders of the wearer. It means that the scales are arranged In some other way. Anyone?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Paul Elliott 20 11,211 10-07-2011, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Re: Show here your Roman soldier impression Tadius Danartus 14 6,689 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar