Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th century belt construction
I purchased a belt fitting set from Raymond's Quiet press some time ago and was wondering how exactly do I mount the belt buckle/plate and how is the belt actually supposed to work? The strap end is wider than the buckle, so am I supposed to pass the strap through and then affix the strap end permanently securing the strap through the belt buckle?

http://raymonds-quiet-press.myshopify.co...t-set-late

[Image: 20160213_131959_zpsr1vaewwm.jpg]
(02-13-2016, 12:18 PM)Kryger Wrote: I purchased a belt fitting set from Raymond's Quiet press some time ago and was wondering how exactly do I mount the belt buckle/plate and how is the belt actually supposed to work? The strap end is wider than the buckle, so am I supposed to pass the strap through and then affix the strap end permanently securing the strap through the belt buckle?

- That's correct, the strap end on this one indeed has to be secured after you pulled the strap through the buckle. 

- The solution for this buckle is not black/white. The main thing is to prevent that both ens do not meet and you get a gap (which looks silly). So it must overlap. This is my solution below. 

Original:

I have since added a small leather protecting to ward against the chafing.

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Hello Kryger,

your belt set is supposed to be Oudenbourg belt set, isn't it? Anyhow, being a three-piece version of the chip-carved belt, your plates should be placed like illustrated in the drawing of the Oudenburg find:

The hexagonal and pentagonal plate constitute the two-piece counter plate set; said counter plate set is located at one end of the belt, the rectangular buckle-bearing plate at the other.

I'm going to provide a sketch of a construction proposal that factors in comparision finds, the general construction principle of late Roman belts and the different rivet lengths of the Oudenburg parts.
Thank you for the help guys. Wink
Edouard de Villiers
Two more images 

Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
(02-13-2016, 12:18 PM)Kryger Wrote: The strap end is wider than the buckle, so am I supposed to pass the strap through and then affix the strap end permanently securing the strap through the belt buckle?

I think this is in error as it makes no sense, if you compare the drawing posted by Thomas its clear the original strap end should just clear the buckle, this is something I've found with other similar matching belt buckle and stap ends of this type...

Check out:
Die Gürtel und Gürtelbeschläge des 4. und 5. Jahrhunderts im römischen Reich. Markus Sommer Bonn 1982

it should be available via library loan....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:I'm going to provide a sketch of a construction proposal that factors in comparision finds, the general construction principle of late Roman belts and the different rivet lengths of the Oudenburg parts.

Regarding the rivet lengths: The rectangular plate and the hexagonal plate of the original belt set show a rivet lenght of 4 to 5 mm, whereas the pentagonal plate shows a rivet length of 11 mm.

As the strap of the belt from the Rhenen grave 846 seems to consist of two layers—with the two layers being achieved by folding the edges (The upper and lower quarter of a leather strip twice as wide as the actual belt?) backwards—, I opted for a two-layered main strap.

The narrow slits of surving strap ends suggest that the narrow auxilliary strap consisted of only one layer. I couldn't find a source stating the rivet length of the Oudenburg strap end, but judging from the picture of my previous post, the rivet is about 2 to 3 mm long.

So my construction proposal essentialy features a two layered main strap with a single-layer auxilliary strap attached to it.

The purpose of the red layer is to reline the gap between the two counter plates. Without said layer, the gap wouldn't show the skin side of leather, but rather the flesh side (and, depending on the construction, also the seam) of the posterior main strap layer. The positive side effect of leading to the rivets of the pentagonal plate being about twice as long as the rivets of the two other plates instead of only one and a half times, was a further reason for me to add this additional layer.

Two remarks: The layers in the sketch are 2,5 mm each; when looking at the belt from below or above, the red layer wouldn't be visible, as it would be covered by the leather of the main strap.

Please don't consider my sketch as set in stone. It just shall roughly demonstrate the construction principle that I consider the most plausible.