Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Gladius - Identity?
Photo 
Hello Folks,

Please forgive me if this question has been asked and answered already.

A certain replica of what is called a "Gladiator's Sword of Pompeii" has gained some media attention lately.
I would like to know if an original of this sword/Gladius is known to exist, and what its background is.
I am hoping your knowledge and expertise can enlighten me.  Thank you in advance.

[Image: SP1086_1.tif&wid=1000=&cvt=jpeg]
Not Roman. Probably made a couple of years ago in China.
Author: Bronze Age Military Equipment, Pen & Sword Books
I think this has been covered extensively (and with some mirth) on various media sites about the web. For example:

http://www.andywhiteanthropology.com/blo...ther-sword

http://www.ebay.it/itm/PARTICOLARE-SCULT...1746768453
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I believe it is associated with a "History" channel person named Pulitzer who was making outrageous claims about this being found on Oak Island in the US, rewriting history. And other nonsense. Charlatan.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
(12-19-2015, 01:06 PM)richsc Wrote: I believe it is associated with a "History" channel person named Pulitzer who was making outrageous claims about this being found on Oak Island in the US, rewriting history. And other nonsense. Charlatan.

Near as we can figure out, he -- or, to give the benefit of the doubt, his unnamed informant -- bought one and concocted a story to go with it.  But his is just one of several currently being touted as genuine artifacts.
Dan D'Silva

Far beyond the rising sun
I ride the winds of fate
Prepared to go where my heart belongs,
Back to the past again.

--  Gamma Ray

Well, I'm tough, rough, ready and I'm able
To pick myself up from under this table...

--  Thin Lizzy

Join the Horde! - http://xerxesmillion.blogspot.com/
(12-19-2015, 02:39 PM)Dan D Wrote: Near as we can figure out, he -- or, to give the benefit of the doubt, his unnamed informant -- bought one and concocted a story to go with it.  But his is just one of several currently being touted as genuine artifacts.

Perhaps his 'unnamed informant' is someone who is also in posession of a similar sword, an object which would gain a lot of value if the story had been believed. Curiously enough, I know a 'collector' who own such a sword.. I think he once was a member of this forum. Wink
But of course, the 'unnamed informant' will most probably remain anonymous forever. Some mysteries will forever remain unsolved.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Somewhere on Facebook, perhaps on RAT, I gave the totally authentic history of how these "Roman" swords reached North America, carried by a Lost Tribe of Roxolani who took a wrong turn on the River Ister and reached Maine... where an entire collection of these swords is now on display at the Boothbay Harbor Roman Sword Museum. Angel
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Well I think some poor dodgy artifact copier is genuinely selling these as genuine fakes .-)
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Identity of these signa Praefectusclassis 16 3,625 09-10-2001, 09:11 AM
Last Post: Jeroen Pelgrom