Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Forum conversion
Hi all
Though the forum conversion to a new type of software was, as far as I can see, a success, there are a few things you need to be aware of when first logging in [I'll add more info as and when things come up]
  • Passwords - passwords are hashed for safe-storing in all forum systems, but each system does it differently. Therefore, count on your old password no longer working. When first logging in, simply request a password reset. You'll have to use your email address registered with your account on the old forum. The password reset email is near instantaneous. If you don't get it: check your spambox, and make sure you're looking in the right email account. If you no longer have access to your email address, I can reset it for you. Note that the password reset will first send you a reset code. This is NOT your new password. Instead, follow the reset link, type in the reset code and your email address. You'll then get a new password, which you can always change in your User Control Panel (UCP). NOTE: both the reset code and new auto-generated password may be gibberish, so copy-pasting is a good idea. Just be careful not to copy extra spaces!
  • Avatars seem to have come across, but in some cases have been resized oddly. The fastest way to fix it is to re-upload your avatar. Pro-tip: right-click your oddly resized avatar and click 'Open image in a new tab' (or whatever that option's called in your browser). Most likely, your avatar will look perfectly fine. In that case, right-click it, save it to desktop and re-upload the avatar. If that doesn't work, grab the file from your archives. Hence the warning to backup avatars before the conversion... Gravatars or an avatar hosted elsewhere on the web works as well.
  • Usernames - our previous system used both a username for login and a display name. Through the migration, only the username seems to have transferred. You can update that yourself, but once selected, please maintain your chosen name, and be aware your login name changes with that as well (though your email address can be used here as well).
  • Signatures - Please check your signature. BBCode has generally converted well for forum posts, but not for signatures. It's not necessary, but sure looks better if you do!
  • You may note wayward backslashes ( \ ) here and there. That's because they get used as a so-called escape character and evidently were not always converted correctly. If you have a quote in your signature, or see your own post with such a wayward slash in it, please edit and clean it up. Just looks nicer, but it won't harm anything.
  • Yes, the look of the new forum is still 'vanilla'. We'll work on that in the coming weeks, but I figured it was more important to get the engine running first. 
  • If you have any issues feel free to post them here, or, if you can't login, feel free to get in touch. And if you do, I know it can be frustrating if there are issues, but please remember this is something I do in my spare time. I'm not a paid customer service lackey for some giant corporation, ok? 
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
(10-25-2015, 06:33 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: Thanks Jasper!

Hi all
Though the forum conversion to a new type of software was, as far as I can see, a success, there are a few things you need to be aware of when first logging in [I'll add more info as and when things come up]
  • Passwords - passwords are hashed for safe-storing in all forum systems, but each system does it differently. Therefore, count on your old password no longer working. When first logging in, simply request a password reset. You'll have to use your email address registered with your account on the old forum. The password reset email is near instantaneous. If you don't get it: check your spambox, and make sure you're looking in the right email account. If you no longer have access to your email address, I can reset it for you. Note that the password reset will first send you a reset code. This is NOT your new password. Instead, follow the reset link, type in the reset code and your email address. You'll then get a new password, which you can always change in your User Control Panel (UCP). NOTE: both the reset code and new auto-generated password may be gibberish, so copy-pasting is a good idea. Just be careful not to copy extra spaces!
  • Yes, the look of the new forum is still 'vanilla'. We'll work on that in the coming weeks, but I figured it was more important to get the engine running first. 
  • If you have any issues feel free to post them here, or, if you can't login, feel free to get in touch. And if you do, I know it can be frustrating if there are issues, but please remember this is something I do in my spare time. I'm not a paid customer service lackey for some giant corporation, ok? 
Nathan Ross
(10-25-2015, 06:33 AM)Praefectusclassis Wrote: If you have any issues feel free to post them here
My avatar seems to have been resized, although I am not sure why; it is only 38.2KB. Is there a way of restoring it to its original size?
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Good point, I'll add that to the notes above. Avatars seem to have been automatically resized and sometimes strangely. Re-uploading seems to fix it fastest.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Thanks, Jasper. That seems to have sorted it out. What are the little squares with crosses in?
Michael King Macdona

I guess there's a certain limit to the dimensions for avatars: it seems like it can't be more than 115 pixels on the longest side or it will be scaled down.

You can also use your Gravatar profile to handle the picture for you. I just did that. Makes it even easier.
The little boxes under your profile are where rank stars still need to go. And yes, Josho's right. Gravatar works fine too for those so inclined.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
My avatar's huge now - oh well!

EDIT - changed now - thanks again!

And, just after passing 1000 'thanks' I'm now back to 'Reputation 0' - drat!  Big Grin

What's the 'warning 0%' thing for?
Nathan Ross
It's because it was converted. Do the tip listed above if you'd like to get it within more decent constraints.

The warning is so mods can show a member they're on notice. :-)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
You can probably get the avatar to resize properly if you upload it again.

The warning stuff is about how many warnings you have amassed. The board can be set to take automatic steps if you exceed a certain amount of warnings (expressed as a percentage). For example, if you reach 20%, the system might ban you for a week or so.

Edit: ninja'ed by Jasper!
(10-25-2015, 02:28 PM)JoshoB Wrote: You can probably get the avatar to resize properly if you upload it again.
That's what I did and it seemed to work.
Michael King Macdona

Great work on porting it all over!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I am here so this seem to be working!
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I see that Robert Vermaat has gone back to being Vortigern Studies. Does he know this?

EDIT And Ben Kane has gone back to ParthianBow.
Michael King Macdona

See above :-)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys