Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PhilusEstilius... My Father
Quote:Hello to your community...

My name is Stephen Stobbs and I am the son of PhilusEstilius here on your boards, my father is Brian Stobbs.

There is no easy way to explain what has happened so I shall have to just say this...

Brian Stobbs passed away this week on Tuesday morning at 6:30am.

My father has been fighting with cancer for the last 6-7 years but unfortuantly finally lost the battle.
I'm really sorry to hear that, Stephen. I'd known your father for almost exactly 30 years (I've just realised!), since he first turned up in my office when I worked in Newcastle Uni, wanting a second opinion on a piece of equipment he was reconstructing. He was always full of exciting and challenging ideas, backed up by a wealth of experience. I last saw him at the Crosby Garrett Helmet conference in 2013, and that was a subject upon which he had some sound and interesting thoughts.

A wonderful man, he will be missed by all.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
My condolences!
I didn't know Brian personally, but he was a valued member of the community here. I'm sorry for your loss and he will be missed.

Requiescat in pace, Brian Stobbs.
Very sad to hear this news, my condolences....
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
I never met Brian, even though he helped me on this Forum many times and very recently.
A real Gent that wanted to pass on his knowledge. We will all miss him and his vast knowledge of Roman "stuff"
I send my condolences to you Stephen, your family, and all relatives and friends.
Kevin
Kevin
I am so sorry to hear of your loss, a dear friend. I have knowen Brian for 25 years, when I first met him he showed me how to do reposse the same day. He had even brought a sheet of brass and a pen. I have had the pleasure to travel with Brian to Rome for a show and many adventures through out the years. Such a sad loss and will be greatly missed.
My thoughts are with you at this time.
Regards Tony Drake
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
My condolences on your loss. Such a kind and generous man both in knowledge and spirit.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Stephen,
Thank you for taking the tine out to let us know. A true craftsman and someone who was always happy to share his knowledge, he will be greatly missed.

Lawrence
Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Very sad news indeed, please accept my condolences.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
My sincere condolences to you, Stephen, and all your family. Brian was a very active member here on RAT, who will be sorely missed.
Ben Kane, bestselling author of the Eagles of Rome, Spartacus and Hannibal novels.

Eagles in the Storm released in UK on March 23, 2017.
Aguilas en la tormenta saldra en 2017.

www.benkane.net
Twitter: @benkaneauthor
Facebook: facebook.com/benkanebooks
So sorry to hear that Stephen.
Your father was a wealth of information for me and others on this board and we will miss his presence.

Vale Brian

Jim
Sorry for your lost. My father died six years ago. The pain is still with me today. Always remember, never forget.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Hello my name is Mick, I am a friend of Brian and his family, I have just joined the forum to say a few words of thanks to the forum members who have passed on kind wishes about Brian.
I think Phil has best summed up my feelings in his post. I met Brian 20-25 years ago and since then have been good friends. I am not directly into the Roman scene but have an interest in all metalwork and hand crafted things. From day one Brian was keen share his skills with me as he has been with others, showing me repousse and general metalwork/ leatherwork.
One of the first things that impressed me about Brian was his modesty about his own work, his attitude was if he can do it, so can you, I would tend to think Brian was a cut above average myself mind ! but this attitude did help others progress. The fact Brian was self taught and had to find out these skills before the internet and Youtube makes his achievments even more impressive and even more generous he was so glad to share them to anyone interested.
I saw Brian only days before he died, he was still doing his repousse, hands engrained with dirt from the metal, tools scattered on his bench, photos for reference and books lying about. As usual he was working on ' Roman stuff ' and loving every second of it. He was becoming more frail and said ' I only do an hour or so, then go on The ' rat ' this forum was a life line to Brian so thank you all for being part of it.
I think Brian was born 2,000 years out of sync and should have really been around in Roman times. He will be greatly missed by all that knew him, his skill an knowledge for a self taught man was nothing short of amazing. I hope all who he shared his skills with will continue to use them as I will , this can surely be the best lasting tribute to Brian.
God rest Brian , a Roman armourer and craftsman to the end.
Regards Mick
Well said Mick, and thank you for your kind and thoughtful words. I love how right up until the very end, Brian was still working on 'Roman stuff'....brilliant!
Phil McKay
Illustrator
www.philmckay.com
It had crossed my mind that, living in the North-east, Brian might be invited to speak to the Durham Roman Army School one day. I now realise that, even then, this may not have been possible. Nevertheless, it may perhaps be regarded as an opportunity missed.

His passing is a sad loss for his family, friends and wider circle of online acquaintances who never met him and who, as one may gather from the tributes that have been paid to him, are the poorer for it.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)