Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone for a BIG exhibition of Roman Armor
That sentence of Robert's breaks one of the forum rules. You are not supposed to call people idiots, right?

Here is a nice little part of the forum rules:

1. No dismissive, hostile, abusive, libellous or aggressive negative responses. Malicious behavior (personal insults, "mobbing" or just being a sarcastic thug) is abuse, and moderators will intervene at the first sign of nastiness. Discrimination on the basis of nationality, ethnicity, sex, race, religion, which way you swing, etc. is also abusive (and stupid besides). Do not characterize other members with negative labels: you IDIOT, fool, mannequin, so-called expert, wannabe, nazi, etc.
Regards, Jason
Cretino is not an idiot, it's a Cretan. Actually the way we say it in Calabria is "La mamma dei fessi e sempre incinta"...that would be an idiot.
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Quote:That sentence of Robert's breaks one of the forum rules. You are not supposed to call people idiots, right?

Here is a nice little part of the forum rules:

1. No dismissive, hostile, abusive, libellous or aggressive negative responses. Malicious behavior (personal insults, "mobbing" or just being a sarcastic thug) is abuse, and moderators will intervene at the first sign of nastiness. Discrimination on the basis of nationality, ethnicity, sex, race, religion, which way you swing, etc. is also abusive (and stupid besides). Do not characterize other members with negative labels: you IDIOT, fool, mannequin, so-called expert, wannabe, nazi, etc.

Cretino is not necessarily an idiot, it's a Cretan. There is no real translation into English. Actually the way we say it in Calabria is "La mamma dei fessi e sempre incinta"...that would be an idiot. Still not nice.

Antony
Really? When I feed it though translate, it comes out idiot. I know translate has its problems, but since Christian commented that it was an insult, I believed the translation.
Regards, Jason
It is. But in Italian it's not a serious one. ☺ it's the equivalent of a your momma joke.

Antony
Thank you very much Jay for your help. It always is good to have someone who speaks the language to correct you and help Smile
Regards, Jason
Try Xanten CUT :

http://www.apx.lvr.de/de/willkommen/willkommen_1.html

I would think they would have the room with the new museum... basically a huge glass house built to represent the outline of the city Bathhouse and built on its foundations which are visible, so I think their open to different interpretations...
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:Cretino is not necessarily an idiot, it's a Cretan.
That is not correct, I just checked the word´s etymology. It actually comes from the same root as the french "crétin". "Cretino" as "Kretan", i.e. person from Krete" is etymologically not used in this semantic context. In the context here it means "idiot, fool, imbecile, sick person".

It is always good to have a university library at hand.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
See also here, btw:
http://it.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?titl...edirect=no

Quote:Il termine cretino, oggi usato come insulto,
Christian K.

Quote:
Quote:Cretino is not necessarily an idiot, it's a Cretan.
That is not correct, I just checked the word´s etymology. It actually comes from the same root as the french "crétin". "Cretino" as "Kretan", i.e. person from Krete" is etymologically not used in this semantic context. In the context here it means "idiot, fool, imbecile, sick person".

It is always good to have a university library at hand.

He means Cretin, not Cretan. From French Creitin, in turn from Latin Christianus.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cretin

I enjoy and appreciate your thoughts and opinions here on the forum Christian, but you should read the OP and determine what the person is asking before correcting them.

Also, I'm going to move this to events, it would probably fit better there, being a thread about a museum exhibit.
Yes thank you Evan, auto correct on my tab changed it and I hadn't noticed. Besides the word has to be taken in context of the meaning the whole sentence. You won'the find it in a university dictionary. It's more of an insult to your mother than you but this is not a forum about Italian sayings and parables that my 95 year old grandmother still uses.

Either way as I said it's not nice.

Antony
Perhaps Robert should just simply clarify in English what he meant to say since he was the one who wrote it (and that would then hopefully be the end of this) ...
We could also delete these posts that have strayed way off topic.

Antony
Martin, it is quite clear what he said:
Quote:La madre del cretino e sempre in cinta
Which literally translates as:
"The mother of an idiot is always pregnant"

Quote: You won'the find it in a university dictionary.
Oh, quite the contrary, we have an Institute for Romanic languages. You´d be amazed what we have.

Quote:He means Cretin, not Cretan. From French Creitin, in turn from Latin Christianus.

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/cretin

That is exactly what I wrote and linked to above. Nowadays it means "idiot". Check your own link.

Quote: but you should read the OP and determine what the person is asking before correcting them.

Still Jay wrote "Cretan" here, which means "a person from Crete", I assume. I can not anticipate his autocorrect, really.

The word "Crétin" in all its forms is used - outside of medical context, which is clearly not he case here - as a synonym for "idiot" in English, French, German, Italian and many other languages.

So, it is quite clear what Robert Schmits wrote. As Jay said,
Quote: it's not nice.
Christian K.

MODERATOR MESSAGE

All dubious sentences removed.
All OT posts about insults removed.
People, behave and be nice toweards each other, if only because that's what we do on this forum.

And remember - IF you have an issue with someone, ask that person first and then report it to a staff member. Do NOT begin a discussion in the thread.
It's not the first time folks - it's the rules!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)