Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello from new member!
I've been lurking on here for a couple of days, signed up last night and looking forward to talking with you all about ancient warfare especially the Romans.

Little background about myself. I'm 34 years old. I live in Kentucky, USA. Ex-military. In work, I'm a licensed journeyman plumber, HVAC, and electrician. Currently I'm an Industrial Electrician that services Robots, and CNC's, Drills, well you basically name it.

For my History background; I focused a lot of it to the Crusades, the romantic side of it. I picked up Thomas Asbridge's Crusades and the First Crusades (Highly, Highly recommended) Read Karen Armstrong Holy Wars and I've come to learn some authors have bias when covering certain subjects. :mrgreen: I then went on to read books on Templars like Micheal Haag's The Templar's.

About 5 years ago me and my wife went on a vacation. I figured I would do a little reading and buy a book at the bookstore. I knew some about the Romans but never really got into it. I found a nice thick book called "The fall and decline of the Roman Empire." By Edward Gibbons. I was like hmmm Hopefully this should be interesting read, and boy let me tell you it sure was. I have no clue how I made it through that entire book. I wouldn't recommend that book who's just starting out learning about the Roman Empire to no one. One of the hardest books I have ever read, but I was hooked to find out more about the Romans

Since then I've read a lot of Livy's work. Polybius and his time with Publius Cornelius Scipio Aemillanus's campaign and covering all of the Punic Wars. I've read Adrian Goldsworthy book (All of them HIGHLY recommended probably by far my favorite author) and it's lead me to this place.

I didn't think a place like this existed. It's good to see other Roman and Greek Enthusiast like myself. It's an honor to be here I'm looking forward to having discussions with fellow ancient history lovers like myself.
"I am not ashamed to confess that I am ignorant of what I do not know." ~Cicero

Very warm welcome Aaron Big Grin you have started on some excellent books. May I recomend Caesars Gallic and civil war books Tacitvs Imperial Rome also Josephes The Jewish war. Otherwise enjoy and engage with the forum :lol:
Regards Brennivs :lol:
Woe Ye The Vanquished
                     Brennvs 390 BC
When you have all this why do you envy our mud huts
                     Caratacvs
Centvrio Princeps Brennivs COH I Dacorivm (Roma Antiqvia)
Welcome Aaron.

If you are into the Punic Wars, try John Lazenby's Hannibal's War and First Punic War (under J F Lazenby) and I can also highly recommend Stephen Howarth's book on the Knights Templar.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Very warm welcome Aaron Big Grin you have started on some excellent books. May I recomend Caesars Gallic and civil war books Tacitvs Imperial Rome also Josephes The Jewish war. Otherwise enjoy and engage with the forum :lol:
Regards Brennivs :lol:

I have a book on Julius Caesar by Adrian Goldsworthy. I would like to read Tacitus annals and history. As for Josephus I've picked up his book antiquities. I've read a lot of it but mainly to see what he said about a certain individual and the controversy over book 18 chapter 3.

Quote:Welcome Aaron.

If you are into the Punic Wars, try John Lazenby's Hannibal's War and First Punic War (under J F Lazenby) and I can also highly recommend Stephen Howarth's book on the Knights Templar.

I'm actually reading about the Punic wars right now. Its more about the military and political side of it. Not so much the social aspect of it. I have heard good things about Lazenby's work.

first of all Welcome

I also think as you this is a wonderful place, is unique on the web in the way things work

welcome again and have fun,

BTW reenacting is also fun, not only read about them but BE one of them maybe you can find some groups around you and join an event or 2
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Quote:first of all Welcome

I also think as you this is a wonderful place, is unique on the web in the way things work

welcome again and have fun,

BTW reenacting is also fun, not only read about them but BE one of them maybe you can find some groups around you and join an event or 2

Well that's what I'm looking to get in too. When I get some time off I'm going to post some questions and inquiries. I really do have a fascination of all things Roman.

Quote: I'm actually reading about the Punic wars right now. Its more about the military and political side of it. Not so much the social aspect of it. I have heard good things about Lazenby's work.

He was my tutor at University - brilliant chap! His books on Sparta are very good too.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!