Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
JRMES 14/15 and 16
For those who would like to contribute to the JRMES campaign but don't have access to (or don't want) a PayPal account, Indiegogo offers the possibility of getting somebody you know with an account to contribute for you. There are more details on how it works here on the Indiegogo website.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there
The JRMES crowdfunding campaign has now been running for a week and it has produced some fascinating (if slightly puzzling) statistics. There have been twice as many visits to the Indiegogo web page by US visitors compared to those based in the UK, but eight times as many UK contributors have signed up compared to those in the US! In fact, out of 30 contributors, only one comes from the US (see pie chart).

I'm not sure what to conclude from this, as it is early days and there are still 25 days left to achieve the target, but it is at the very least intriguing.

Mike Bishop

[attachment=11494]piechartoneweek.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I just donated and I'm from the US. Had to wait for the money to come in Tongue
Quote:I just donated and I'm from the US. Had to wait for the money to come in Tongue
Know the feeling ;-)

Mike Bishop

I'm transferring funds to PayPal first.. wait for it. Wink
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
will be interesting to see the final statistics, I realize by now we are close to the goal.
Marco

Civis Romanus Optime Iure Sum
Quote:will be interesting to see the final statistics, I realize by now we are close to the goal.
94% of the goal as I type this and only one-third of the way into the campaign, but the number of subscribers is more important than the sum of money in many ways because it needs to have a viable subscription base to fund it into the future. Achieve the goal and that gets 14/15 and 16 printed, but if there are fewer than 200 subscribers, it is questionable whether it can continue beyond this year.

Mike Bishop

I'll definitely subscribe.
I have no idea how to build the subscriber base. Word of mouth an advertising.??
Markus Aurelius Montanvs
What we do in life Echoes in Eternity

Roman Artifacts
[Image: websitepic.jpg]
Quote:I have no idea how to build the subscriber base. Word of mouth an advertising.??
That pretty much hits the nail on the head. We have to achieve a notional 200 or more subscribers by December 2015 or it won't be viable. I'm surprised at the low take-up by RAT members (even if, as I suspect, the 8,000 users are mostly spammers) but there is also the fact that institutions are not going to sign up for a crowdfunding campaign and may subscribe once that opportunity is available to them. The one fact that I have to go on is that print runs of 300 copies of JRMES have sold out in the past, so 200 subscribers should be achievable.

Who knows? We're in uncharted waters here, but one has to try one's best ;-)

Mike Bishop

If you don't have/want a PayPal account

I've just discovered, when I tried to pay with my PayPal account (it wouldn't let me as my account is the one the funds go into before we create an ARMES account), that you can pay by credit or debit card without logging into PayPal.* Just make sure you select the option to do that and then uncheck the Create a PayPal Account box when you have filled in your card details. Simples!

Mike Bishop

* If you think it's daft me paying myself only to have c.7% taken by Indiegogo, I want my name in the back of the damn thing after all this effort!

Well, als i've seen by our previous crowdfunding campaign, Some people seem to prefer value for their money And Will only invest after the product is finished. No hard facts to base that om, but it might be that more will follow once the papers are in print.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:I've just discovered, when I tried to pay with my PayPal account (it wouldn't let me as my account is the one the funds go into before we create an ARMES account), that you can pay by credit or debit card without logging into PayPal.* Just make sure you select the option to do that and then uncheck the Create a PayPal Account box when you have filled in your card details. Simples!!
I tried and it worked. just odd to fill in all your address stuff, that's normally not necessary with credit card payment. I hope it all worked out.

Quote:If you think it's daft me paying myself only to have c.7% taken by Indiegogo, I want my name in the back of the damn thing after all this effort!
You mean you can't make that happen any other way? Smile
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I tried and it worked. just odd to fill in all your address stuff, that's normally not necessary with credit card payment. I hope it all worked out.
Yes thanks, it's just come through and you should get an acknowledgement email from them too.

Quote:
mcbishop post=364105 Wrote:If you think it's daft me paying myself only to have c.7% taken by Indiegogo, I want my name in the back of the damn thing after all this effort!
You mean you can't make that happen any other way? Smile
I'm old-fashioned that way ;-)

Mike Bishop

Well, we have burst through our funding goal and still have 19 days to run on the campaign, so it's time to start thinking about stretch goals. I'm wondering about the catalogue of military equipment from London (which we are still editing at the moment, but all the drawings were completed in 2014) to be included with the journals if we reach £10,000. Any opinions or alternative suggestions?

Mike Bishop