Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Living History in Texas
Ave All.......
Was wondering if there was any Roman living history events happening this new year. It seems many have left the hobby here over the last 2 1/2 years, or so it would seem.
If any liked minded individuals are out there and would like to create some events, let me know. I'm fully kitted out for First century and 4th and 5 th Century.

All the best in 2015, Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Roman Soldier Impressions are focused on 1st Through 4th Century AD
I had a question from a woman in the Dallas area about Romans on Facebook. Several people responded to her, so maybe I can find out.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
That would be great.......things here were really going in a positive direction about 2-3 years ago, we even had two good groups working with each other in tandem.....a good fit as it were. Then , the leader quit Roman living history and that group just melted away. Too bad, they were great guys with solid kits.
Then, our own group, which had grown by leaps in 2011, started to get smaller and smaller, for various reasons. The final blow was when the founding member retired from Roman living history late this fall. His reasons were sound and I bear him nothing but good thoughts and respect. Roman living history lost one of the most knowledgeable historians in the state. And what a great fabricator.
The two of us left, myself and Marcus are still in contact with each other and Marcus has had some good events he has attended here in Texas that are SCA.
He does displays and living history at these events and I'm going to try and join him this year for one or two.

I'm hoping some lone Texas Romans will read this and want to get involved doing something this year. The state is big, but I feel there are a few guys out there who have a Roman kit wishing they could actually use it.
Let's hope so....thanks for your help, Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Greetings to my fellow Texans,.

There are a few Roman reenactor groups around Texas, but I am unsure of their present status. In any event, some friends and I founded Legio XIII Gemina a few years back. It is affiliated with Nova Roma. It is a very small group. I have not figured out the recruiting thing. I have unsuccessfully attempted to gather two of these groups under our wing. I am currently trying to recruit an Army officer at Fort Bliss to join our legion. He is an artilleryman. As we are planning to build a trebuchet, he would be ideal.

Until recently the legion HQ was in the Houston area. Due to a job transfer, I moved to the Fort Hood area (Central Texas), and the HQ moved with me.

We are very interested in gaining new members. Take a look at our website.

The only specific Roman festival in Texas I am aware of is the Roman Bacchanal weekend at the Renaissance Festival near Houston inn the fall of each year.

I would be interested in joining others in planning as Roman assembly of some kind. Of course, location could be a problem. Anyway, I am open to suggestions.

Yours,

Publius Quinctius Petrus Augustinus
(Pierre A. Kleff, Jr.)
Legio XIII Gemina
Petrus Augustinus
That sounds great. Count me in.....there are many venue possibilities. what we did for a couple of years was have a weekend encampment at old Ft Parker near Waco.
another venue for an encampment might be Ft Martin Scott.
I know Presidion san Saba near Menard is BEGGING people to do ANY type of Living History there.
my friend is the new director at presidio la Bahia in Goliad, I know Scott would let us have a weekend there this year and they have barracks to sleep in.

I think the best way to get started is pick a weekend folks can meet, pick a site...the above are all viable, and have a weekend of drill and organization in kit.
I know Marcus would be up for it, so lets have some serious discussion, pick a weekend and start doing something....the venue possibilities are endless.

My email is [email protected]
I'll see Scott at the bicentennial of New Orleans later this week and will ask him about presidio use.
IM READY.....Antoninus
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Antoninus,

All of the sites mentioned sound great. But before we try to organize a big event, may I suggest that we plan a smaller qathering where we can gauge interest and do some planning. If we do a Roman event, we want at least to lay the groundwork for success.

Petrus Augustinus
(Pierre Kleff)
Petrus Augustinus
Well, I understand where you are coming from, but weekends are precious, weve been doing this awhile, and we are really living history/public education oriented., we all portray common soldiers as we are so small a group it seems having higher ranks is redundant. that said, you and your group are welcome to attend any of our events....Im shooting for an event at Presidio La Bahia later this year....will keep you guys in the loop
Antoninus.
Michael T. Boyd
Victoria, Texas
Cohort V
Legio Hispana IX
Cornuti Seniores

Thank you.
Petrus Augustinus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ROMAN ENCAMPMENT at Fort Parker in Texas MARCH 11-13, 2016 Antoninus05 2 2,172 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Antoninus05
  Living History Program MarcusNorwood 1 1,167 12-02-2012, 07:31 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  The National Living History Fayre, November 2012 David Smith 0 1,123 02-28-2012, 04:27 PM
Last Post: David Smith