Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
La Tene sword found with organic hilt preserved
Hello everybody!
2 others picture of the sward with ruler and a nice closeup of the pommel and hilt.
Best
S.M.

[attachment=11394]must-farm-finds-small_page_04.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11395]must-farm-finds-small_page_07.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

--------
SM.

ὁπλῖται δὲ ἀγαθοὶ καὶ ἀκροβολισταί (Strabo,IV, 6, 2)
Awesome. Is that scabbard or a blade? I'm not sure...
Quote:Also it is hard to say if Romans had any influence over it since it may well be that after Romans stopped using xiphos style swords their new swords sported hilts designed according to Celtic hilt types. We know roman later republican and early empire swords still sometimes had trilobated pommels and sloped guard plates. How can we know who first simplified that hilt type into globular or oval shaped fittings that we now think of as typically roman? We know of early La Tene III celtic swords with straight guard plates that obviously were fitted with fittings no longer of anthropoid shape. Do we know of roman straight guards and simple globular or oval pommels before that time? When do we think typical roman gladius fittings were first developed?

The earliest proof of round fittings I can find is from the central horseman on the north face of the Glanum monument. However, only the pommel is really clear. The sword is quite long, and appears waisted. The relief likely depicts the earlier "hispaniensis" types. My guess is that the round type was used alongside lobed types (like the one shown on Minucius's grave), but that the simpler forms persisted due to ease of manufacture.

At any rate, if the dating is correct on the Must farm sword, then it cannot be the ancestor of the classic gladius hilt. But, as I've seen no native italic precedent for such hilt types, I still think it is likely that the gladius hilt was at least celtic inspired.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Quote:Awesome. Is that scabbard or a blade? I'm not sure...

I think it`s the blade. It`s interesting that there is a metal "cross-piece" supporting the organic one which looks like a predecessor of the later and more elaborated pieces like Hod Hill
If I saw that sword without any context, I`d say it`s a simple version of the mid-1st-century pieces...
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
it is BROAD!
Als Mensch zu dumm, als Schwein zu kleine Ohren...

Jürgen Graßler

www.schorsch-der-schmied.de
www.facebook.com/pages/AG-Historisches-Handwerk/203702642993872
Yes, that's why I like it very much. Big Grin
Using the scale on the photo I make that blade 6cm by the hilt. Broad indeed! (And almost 70cm long accounting for the break)
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
I think I have to get this one reproduced. :unsure:
Need a lot more detail about it first, I would suggest.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
That would be favourable, but I don't know how could I get such info...
There'll be a finds report of some sort sooner or later. I am sure the sword experts have already been contacted by the archaeological unit; but they need to conserve it first. (At least I hope they do!!).

Perhaps someone on here knows more about it already?
Moi Watson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  La Tene I hilt ideas dave74 21 3,725 02-01-2014, 12:06 AM
Last Post: dave74