Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
diadem
Hello everybody,
I am wondering if anyone here saw this diadem before in any sculpture or pottery in ancient Greece i can,t find any interpretation for them may be relate with god or goddesses or religion ?

note : the second vase some scholar said it depict woman not male but i didn,t agree with them and what is he wear ? Sphendone or helmet ?

thanks in advance

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

May I ask why you think these are Greek? Do you have any more information on their archaeological context and date?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
plastic vases from south italy in fourth century b.c but Imitates attic vases
Not too much more to add but a Google search brings up this information on the second image.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:R...ry_BCE.jpg

Regards
Michael Kerr
Michael Kerr
"You can conquer an empire from the back of a horse but you can't rule it from one"
What do you mean by diadem? Both items appear to be rhytons, which are ritual wine cups. They likely had ritual/relgious significance. Many rhyton were made in the shape of a beast's head. I have seen examples which are made to resemble a ram's head or a griffon, but human heads seem rarer. I have, however seen many aryballos (oil flasks) shaped as human heads. Below is a link to one also shaped as an african head.

http://art.thewalters.org/detail/4096/ar...n-african/

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

diadem is a type of crown, specifically an ornamental headband
i want to know interpretation of headdress on the heads of negro not the type of vase
I don't think the headgear on either of those pieces appears to represent a diadem of any sort, at least not as it appeared in the greek or italic world. If I had guess, I would assume that the artist was either trying to show a specific foreign article he had seen (perhaps worn by a traveling African merchant) or was otherwise just going for an exotic look, not based on any specific item.
I would note that the second rhyton shows a headdress with a spotted pattern. If I had to venture a guess id say it may be an abstract leopard skin. Skins of big cats are often tied to martial prowess, so it may show a warrior. That's really just a guess.
I'd bet there are some fora with a focus more on ancient Africa, and they may be able to help you out more. After a quick search I can't find any African art from the classical period that closely matches the double headband or the spotted hood.