Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
\"Celtic\" military technology and the Romans
Dear all

As interesting as this all is, may I please ask that we do not wander too far off the topic under discussion.

Thank you
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:'which slender hoops of thin metal the body's bendings encircled, divided through all the limbs'

Would that be the translation? Though membra could also mean parts of the body not definitively limbs I believe.
The primary meaning of membrum seems to be 'limb', although it can also mean, more generally, 'a member of the body'. In this latter context, the OED defines 'member' as 'a part or organ of the body, esp. a limb or other part attached to the trunk'. It also has a special meaning as 'the penis'. In the context of this passage in Ammianus, for my part I believe that he is referring to limbs.

Quote:As interesting as this all is, may I please ask that we do not wander too far off the topic under discussion.
I take your point.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)