Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some help with clothing
Hi everyone! I'm looking for some advice, I have to collect a republican roman outfit from the II Century BCE. Probably it is the same as an Imperial one, but I'm not sure about it! So if you have some tips please write them down! Big Grin
Well firstly, it is NOT the same as an imperial Outfit. I can't provide much info, not a Republic guy, but I'm sure someone else can.
Let's hope someone will. I already searched on the net and on this forum too, but unfortunatly i didn't find what I expected to see. And as you can see I wrote "but I'm not sure about it".
Some things may be the same ie Tunic, light wool or heavy linen, Pila, socketed type, Scuta, large ovaloid, that's a new word I just made up. Double belts, check on accuracy of plate design/types, to hold sword, Hispanienses. Mail armour reaching down to ones upper/mid thigh. These things are the simple ones, easily found on the net. Google is a bit stupid so try changing your search words order or changing some of the words.
Kevin
Kevin
Try this site www.roman-reenactor.com/
Jean Luc will certainly help you.
AgrimensorLVCIVS FLAVIVS SINISTER
aka Jos Cremers
member of CORBVLO
ESTE NIX PAX CRISTE NIX
Thanks for the help! So basically the tunic didn't change much. I already know that weapons, both offensive and defensive, changed a lot between Republican and Imperial time.
Ovoid is the term you're looking for. And really you're looking at a rectangle with heavily chamfered corners than an ovoid shape.

Some Republican Era Gear:

[Image: repub1.JPG]
[Image: Helmets_987_full.jpg]

In terms of Belts and Shoes I don't know.

The Abolla was more popular than the Sagum at this time AFAIK.

Chainmail in this time often had a painted leather, rather than maile, doubler.
I prefer...."Ovaloid".
Kevin
:whistle:
Kevin
Quote:Try this site www.roman-reenactor.com/
Jean Luc will certainly help you.

Oh thanks! That is exactly what I was searching for! They clearly say how was a tunic from the II Century BCE! Thanks again! Smile