Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Veio\'s siege aftermath?
Ave, everybody,
recently, I stumbled into two different versions about what happened at the end of Veio's siege. Since, in both books there are not footnotes about the sources regarding this particular matter, I need some help.
Version 1. The Etrurian city is sacked and razed, the veians still alive slaved. Full stop.
Version 2. Here too, the city is sacked but, badly needing more manpower for the Army, survivors of the ager veientanus are later granted with the roman citizenship and organized in four new tribes: Stellatina,Tromantina, Sabatina and Arniensis.
Which should be right and, where could I find some primary source?
Thanks!
Roberto wrote:
Version 1. The Etrurian city is sacked and razed, the veians still alive slaved. Full stop.
Version 2. Here too, the city is sacked but, badly needing more manpower for the Army, survivors of the ager veientanus are later granted with the roman citizenship and organized in four new tribes: Stellatina,Tromantina, Sabatina and Arniensis. Which should be right and, where could I find some primary source?

Hello Roberto. For the creation of the Stellatina,Tromantina, Sabatina and Arniensis see Livy (VI 5) The four tribes were created out of the territory formerly belonging to Veii. In other words they were occupied by Roman citizens. Those who were captured at Veii would now have a new career as a slave and would not have been granted Roman citizenship, so as to serve in the army. The army was not a professional standing army for this time period.
I see. Version 2 was too good to be true...
Thanks for the help!