Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rare ancient artwork and pictures
And a couple of ladies. I've posted these before too, but the portraits are so fine I think they bear another look. First one is unidentified and (I think) found in the Capitoline Museum:

[attachment=9440]Bust1.jpg[/attachment]

The second is an imperial bust of a woman from the house of Constantine (probably). Educated guesses about the identity much appreciated!

[attachment=9441]ConstantinianLady.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Nathan Ross
Quote:Also, Pavel - could you identify the sarcophagus with the reclining couple on top? I've seen pictures of it elsewhere, but don't recall where it is or what it tends to be called...

Page where I found it claims it should be Sarcophagus of Emperor Balbinus.No other info to it.
Text to this image says:
Sarcophagus of a Roman General(ca. 170)- represent noble qualities that the deceaces wished to convey instead of contemporary war scenes. this one shows the bearded Roman general accompanied by victory and virtus, grants clementia to a barbarian, his wife, and their young son. the father has his hands bound but the wife and child reach up for mercy. In the center a bull is sacrificed in front of the temple of jupiter. On the right the deceased and his wife join hands in a weddign ceremony. Sarcophogi like this are usually called a biographical sarcopagi.

And probably the same reportedly imperial sarcophagus of Balbinus:

"Sarcophagus of Balbinus and/or his wife. From Rome. Marble. 238. Catacomb of Praetextatus, Rome."

It seems interresting to me someone like Balbinus who only co-ruled so briefly could made it into so relatively great amount of high quality art.

Another lion hunt a biblical imagies in series of photos of 4th century panels here :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/
And other two liont hunts(second is in Paris, Louvre Museum):

P.S:note how strikingly similar iconography it shows.It differs only in details.

This one was posted in different quality already.I love facial expression of the soldier with raised hand in the right corner of sarcophagus.It also shows Eagle headed helmets like on famous Ludovisi battle sarcophagus from the same time.

Pellan Mosaic, 4th Century BC

[attachment=9447]CheetahonPellanMosaic.jpg[/attachment]

Haute-Loire Crossbow

[attachment=9448]Haute-LoireRelief.jpg[/attachment]

Santa Maggiore Mosaic

[attachment=9449]SantaMaggiore1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9450]SantaMaggiore7.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9451]SantaMaggiore6.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9452]SantaMaggiore5.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9453]SantaMaggiore4.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=9454]SantaMaggiore3.jpg[/attachment]

I think that this is a particularly nice tombstone:

http://edh-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/edh/foto/F023655
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:I think that this is a particularly nice tombstone:

http://edh-www.adw.uni-heidelberg.de/edh/foto/F023655

Cute :-)
Fresco of the eunuch Otes and Yahbishimshos (local senator, son of Abdaathes) – identified by Greek inscriptions - making sacrifice (beardless and dressed in white), from the Temple of Bel, Dura Europos in Syria, third century AD (in the area of the Roman military precinct).
Otes and Yahbishimshos are the patrons of the paintings, promoting themselves as mediators
between the city and the gods. On the right we can see five deities, standing on globes. They look like early versions of what would become the standard iconography for archangels, clad in cuirass, cloak, ankle-high boots or Parthian trousers, beardless, with halos, and carrying spears.

Anyone have this in better resolution?

After my research trip to Istanbul last year I put up a thread about the wanton destruction of many Roman works in that city.

I posted photographs concerning my trip on that thread and there are a number of images that are relevant to this thread as they came from the main museum in Instanbul and many of the items I photographed have not appeared anywhere else as far as I can tell.

Anyway, go and have a look in my flickr folder-

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

(If anyone wants to pull off the interesting ones and put them on this thread then by all means do so. I am unfortunately too busy at the moment to do so).
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Adrian's link takes you to the relief that I have called 'Battle Scene' elsewhere in this forum, which I photographed in 1976. It can be identified from its location as shown in other of Adrian's photographs. It is barely recognisable from how it appeared then. The viewpoint is higher; it is beneath a dirty transparent panel, obscured by vegetation; and it seems to be partially buried. This is how it ought to look:

[attachment=9905]ColumnofTheodosius-battlescene.jpg[/attachment]

On a happier note, this link is to Adrian's excellent photograph of the tombstone of the bucinator Aurelius Surus:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

This is important because, to the best of my knowledge, it is the only unequivocal representation of a bucinator with his instrument. It was found in 1964 but, when I saw it in 1976, it was (I think) newly displayed and little known. The 2013 Roman Army School in Durham was dedicated to the presentation of papers in honour of the late Dr Brian Dobson and my contribution, entitled 'Vegetius and the Bucinator', sought to examine the difference between Vegetius' description of the bucina and its depiction on this tombstone. The papers are to be published, possibly late next year.

Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
I think she's carrying spaghetti outside to let it dry on the clothes line. :woot:
It's best cooked Al Dante... whom I think was Dante's chef brother. Confusedilly:

[attachment=9906]BathsFresco1.jpg[/attachment]

Perhaps she's Etruscan, since they appear to have developed pasta-making equipment. :dizzy:
Obviously the things attached to the bottom of the spaghetti strands are little pieces of gnocci. :lol:
OR!-- they could be chunks of ravioli. :!:
And the BIG RARE ANCIENT PICTURE question really is-- was it meat ravioli or cheese ravioli? :?: :?:

Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Thank you for that Michael, and I'm surprised no one has commentated on the helmet down on the left side of the Tombstone as of yet as it may help in the helmet debate.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar