Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disable auto-rendering of smilies
Quote:
Robert Matthew post=339375 Wrote:I can see them fine. What browser are you using?
Internet Explorer.

Have you got the latest version?
Valete,
Titvs Statilivs Castvs - Sander Van Daele
LEG XI CPF
COH VII RAET EQ (part of LEG XI CPF)

MA in History
Quote:I tried Explorer and it worked fine for me. Have you tried clearing your cookies?
Yes. Doesn't seem to have worked.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Quote:Have you got the latest version?
I'm using Internet Explorer 8.
Michael King Macdona

Try doing the Internet Explorer Update. It's up to version 10 now. Free download.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Version 10 only works on windows 8. I think I have 9 though on windows 7.
Well, I'm on Windows XP, so where does that leave me?
Michael King Macdona

I use XP Home with IE10, but I favor Firefox. While IE is installed, I rarely use that program.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
That's curious because everything that I am finding tells me that IE10 doesn't work with anything earlier than Windows 7 and Windows XP doesn't support anything after IE8.
Michael King Macdona

Quote:That's curious because everything that I am finding tells me that IE10 doesn't work with anything earlier than Windows 7 and Windows XP doesn't support anything after IE8.

That's what I find too for some reason.

Just install firefox. Chrome will do nothing but give you a list of errors.
Regardless of the findings, I have it installed and usable. I just don't like IE, so I use Fox. Before that, I always used Netscape Navigator. Smaller, easier, and not needing constant "security" updates. I distrust Microsoft since I found they skim information about your browsing/searching habits and use that to tailor your advertising input. A browser should just take you around the web, if you ask me.

But let's get back to smilies? I use them once in a while, and it's a good way to make the difference between intonation that we can't readily see from words. Wink
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Ok, 8) is now no longer a smiley. Smile
Firefox and Chrome run fine on XP and IE8 should be able to deal with what is offered here (but may very well have problems with websites using newer technology). I'm afraid that it's a fact of life that the internet will force you to upgrade sooner or later. Older browsers leave holes for exploitation and may not be able to render everything on new sites.
Removing cookies won't help with your particular problem. Have you emptied your browser cache?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:Ok, 8) is now no longer a smiley. Smile
Hooray!

Quote: Removing cookies won't help with your particular problem. Have you emptied your browser cache?
Before I start messing about with things I don't understand, let me tell you about another problem I have. My Profile is completely dead; none of the tabs work. Consequently, I could not alter my avatar or signature (assuming that I wanted to which, at the moment, I don't) and, for instance, I cannot see what Thanks Yous I have given or have been given to me. Does this ring any bells?
Michael King Macdona

Hi Michael,
Clearing your browser cache once in a while is not bad anyway and not dangerous to your or your computer's health. Here's how to do it. I can access your profile without any problem, and I haven't heard any other complaints in that regard, so I'm afraid it does sound like 'it's you'. Sorry.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Hi Michael,
Clearing your browser cache once in a while is not bad anyway and not dangerous to your or your computer's health. Here's how to do it. I can access your profile without any problem, and I haven't heard any other complaints in that regard, so I'm afraid it does sound like 'it's you'. Sorry.
Done all that. Alas, no improvement. It was all working fine before the upgrade but it looks as if there was something about that that my computer objects to. Oh well, I suppose I'm stuck with it. Thanks for your advice, anyway.
Michael King Macdona

Is your Javascript up to date?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys