Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valentinian and Valens
It is my pleasure to announce:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Imperial-Brother...alentinian

And for those in the US:

http://www.amazon.com/Imperial-Brothers-...and+Valens
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
Awesome! I don't have any money set aside to buy it though. Sad
This looks good. Being more of a Late Republic kind of guy, I've only recently begun to delve more deeply into the later period.

I read Noel Lenski's book on Valens not too long ago. I enjoyed it, but was hoping it would cover more of Valentinian's career than it did. This book of yours looks to be right up my alley.

I'll most likely buy your books on Aetius, Belisarius, and Stilicho eventually as well, but first, I need to figure out how to fit more book shelves in my room. Smile
Jason

Nil igitur mors est ad nos neque pertinet hilum,
quandoquidem natura animi mortalis habetur.
Pre-ordered through Amazon - looking forward to this immensely.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I am reading it now and i think it really good.

first he provides a history of what happened before valens / valentinian.
he provides a year by year history of what happened on each front (rhine front, danube front, eastern (persian front), african front)
then he goes on describing the events till the battle of adrianople.

he does take the time to explain everything like what is an arian christian etc.

the book provides maps for about every stage of the campaign so you can follow visually. it has a chronology and a "people's database" at the end so you can look up who's who. hughes also describes the sources in detail.

I think you can't want much more than this. i must admit i still do not know much about late antiquity though. i wonder what the experts in the late roman period have to say on it. my appreciation for these 2 emperors sure is rising.

makes me want to order some other of his books.
Yves Goris
Quintus Aurelius Lepidus
Legio XI Claudia Pia Fidelis
Reburrus
Cohors VII Raetorum Equitata (subunit of Legio XI CPF)
vzw Legia
Flanders
Quote:Awesome! I don't have any money set aside to buy it though. Sad
You might want to know that Amazon sells it used for just £998.42.. :whistle:
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I am reading it now and I think it really good.

Makes me want to order some other of his books.

Many thanks for the kind words and I'm glad that you enjoyed it. And please read my other books ... No pressure! Wink

Quote:
Magister Militum Flavius Aetius post=335902 Wrote:Awesome! I don't have any money set aside to buy it though. Sad
You might want to know that Amazon sells it used for just £998.42.. :whistle:

That's "SuperBookDeals" in the US. I'd be amazed if they had ever sold one of my books: at one point 'Belisarius' was on offer for £950 - and it had only just been published!
Ian (Sonic) Hughes
"I have described nothing but what I saw myself, or learned from others" - Thucydides, Peloponnesian War
"I have just jazzed mine up a little" - Spike Milligan, World War II
I bought it last week and am enjoying it immensely as it covers my favourite period. Once finished, I will review it here and on Amazon.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Quote:You might want to know that Amazon sells it used for just £998.42.. :whistle:

Such a bargain!! :woot:
I'll take two. One for my apartment in Maine, and another for my palace on the Riviera. ;-)
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb