Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Roman Shoe Reconstructions
Hypothetical Reconstruction, with that it mind these represent some of the shoes from the house hold of Flavius Cerialis the commander of the fort and his wife Sulpicia Lepidina and may have belonged to their children.
Period III 97-103ad, Cohort VIIII Batavorum and Cohort III Batavorum were the Garrison at this time.

Ref: Vindolanda, The Early wooden Forts Vol III page 45.
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Nice work!

I cant't open the old atachments of pictures, where are available to see them?
Some of the shoes shown at Xanten 2014, unfortunately I totally forgot to take any pics there Duh.....

In order of appearance:
Vindolanda Family Group. late 1st
Alexandrian Oil Lamp. probably early-mid 3rd
Gloucester shoe. early 4th
Ivor

"And the four bare walls stand on the seashore. a wreck a skeleton a monument of that instability and vicissitude to which all things human are subject. Not a dwelling within sight, and the farm labourer, and curious traveller, are the only persons that ever visit the scene where once so many thousands were congregated." T.Lewin 1867
Quote:Nice work!

I cant't open the old atachments of pictures, where are available to see them?

Currently only the pictures on this site some older pics have been removed for various reasons, what you will generally see is recent work only ;-)

New pair of very small childs Solea late 3rd century, often adult sizes have additional nailed heel pieces so a double layered heel!, size about 14cm long...
[attachment=11000]SoleababyQS3rdad.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

Very cute :-) Looks a lot like the pattern from the London find I did (cf. http://sutor.jimdo.com/shoes/roman-shoes...d-cent-ad/) - is it based on that one?
May I ask what you based the strap arrangement on, Ivor?
Quote:Very cute :-) Looks a lot like the pattern from the London find I did (cf. http://sutor.jimdo.com/shoes/roman-shoes...d-cent-ad/) - is it based on that one?
May I ask what you based the strap arrangement on, Ivor?

Martin, I would guess your strap arrangement was from a Sculpture?
The Solea is from Angel Court LAMAS vol28 slightly reduced its a bit different but their all very similar, the straps are from again a similar complete childs shoe from Leeds the same arrangement turns up in Dura again a similar childs shoe, both found online... sole is one thickness with slots split for the straps which are then laced /\\/\\ through the thickness of the leather.

The original Trial piece based on St Magnus House original size this time with a foot in it..... the sock is very well done but isnt my work... :wink:

[attachment=11004]StMagnusHouseSolea3rdcentwithsocksmall.jpg[/attachment]

An idea of scale 3rd cent Solea Vs Adult male shoe from Barhill Antonine wall mid 2nd...

[attachment=11005]scalesmall.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

Quote:Martin, I would guess your strap arrangement was from a Sculpture?

I knew you'd know :-)
Thanks for the details on the straps!
Martin, do you have "Greek Footwear and the dating of Sculpture" by Morrow, if not then I would recommend it, its answered some questions on Roman period footwear for me at any rate.... a useful book for anyone interested in classical Greek shoes generally to be sure....
Ivor

Mans shoe from Hardknott 2nd century.
[attachment=11083]HardknottCalceiMediobogdumconstructionsmall.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11084]HardknottCalceiMediobogdumsmall.jpg[/attachment]

Unpublished Small childs shoe from a well in or near Harlow most likely around 200AD give or take...
[attachment=11085]HarlowCarbatinachildsmall.jpg[/attachment]
Ivor

Based on shoes from Birdoswald mid 2nd century

[attachment=11531]Birdoswaldpointedtoesmaller.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11532]BirdoswaldCalcaismaller.jpg[/attachment]

Based on Southfleet but without the decoration, end 2nd -mid 3rd century.

[attachment=11533]SouthfleetStyleSmaller.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=11534]SouthfleetStyle2smaller.jpg[/attachment]

Construction: all the usual bells and whistles.......... colour may vary from originals....
No Glue was used during the making of this production.......
Ivor

Very nicely done, as always! Great work :-)
Meticulous work - very impressive!
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
Epic.
Nice
how did you dyed the leather?
-----------------
Gelu I.
www.terradacica.ro
www.porolissumsalaj.ro
Quote:Nice
how did you dyed the leather?

With Modern dyes, the colour you see is not the actual colour though, the Bluish purple is Purple and the Red shoe is much more subdued... a product of the poor light at the moment, although I doubt you could see the true colour except with the naked eye in normal daylight.
The final two Southfleet style shoes are dyed with the same dark red colour dye and the variation is due to different leather being used.... a creamy white veg tan (Rhubarb tanning I think, a trial piece) and a normal veg tanned goat (the final shoe) which was already a light sun tanned colour, dyes are painted or daubed on with a wool mop... The Southfleet shoes were purple with whitish leather straps and lining originally....

Its surprising what a difference a dye makes Confusedmile:
Ivor

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman mosaic floors for villa reconstructions Musivarius 0 810 07-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Musivarius
  Allandale Roman Shoe Reconstructions MarcusNorwood 5 1,763 02-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding
  Reconstructions of Roman footware from Vindolanda Crispianus 10 3,546 10-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Last Post: Crispianus