Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want to join the Roman Army but own no land :)
Hi,

Ive always wanted to join the roman army but money is tight. Since halloween is coming up I started looking seriously at gettig a kit. But I started too late to get a kit in by the time my company has it's halloween party. So rather then bye it all at once I will be buying it a few pieces at a time.

Can anyone tell me about the Loricas on ebay vs. the ones at Soul of the Warrior?

There is one titled on ebay as, "Roman Lorica Segmenta Breastplate Full Size Replica"
by seller History_Store

Would it be acceptible for re enacting?
better go with SOTW. He knows what he is selling.
ALA I BATAVORUM
I don't see any difference between the ebay offering and SOTW. Was hoping someone could point out the finer details i might be missing.
By the way I listed my user name as Roman Citizen. Why is my real name appearing as the user name???
Looks like a cheep product from India with some minor faults.

Furthermore I'm not even sure if the segmentata on the 'stand' is the same as the one depicted being worn. Could be a pic taken from the internet.
ALA I BATAVORUM
That can sometimes happen I suppose. Is there a good place on the net for reference photos to compare?
What should I be looking at with a critical eye? Attachment points or size of the armor segments?
[attachment=5589]lorica.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do NOT buy any segmentata on ebay, unless you get very lucky and find a used Deepeeka. I searched for months for a decent seg on the bay, and purchased one that was pictured with all the correct buckles and whatnot. What I was sent was a piece of junk with the crappiest grade leather, that was so brittle, one of the straps holding the back armor actually broke just from trying it on. Luckily I was able to use that as an excuse to send the junk back.

I own a Deepeeka segmentata, Rusty sells this version (as well a cheap version in the theatrical/stage section, avoid this version), the Deepeeka has a few minor flaws, slightly large shoulder guards, slightly inaccurate tie loop placement (this really isn't a problem, unless you are very thin though), but overall the nicest commercially available seg. Try contacting DSC for a segmentata, they are very fast and reliable, and you may be surprised at the competitive pricing with Deepeeka, it has all the minor issues of the Deepeeka model corrected

[email protected]
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Also, the picture you attached is a Corbridge B version, currently DSC is the ONLY commercially available supplier who makes an accurate Cor B version. And if you want to know where they got the image, they just copied it from wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorica_segmentata

And no, I guarantee no "No-Name" ebay seller makes an accurate Cor B, or we would know about it. There is a common bastardized version of the Kalkriese, Cor A, and Cor B version on ebay. As someone who briefly owned an ebay seg, please avoid, they are inexpensive because they are CHEAP!
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
OK no ebay armor then! I sent a mail to the vendor you recommended. What version of Lorica is the earliest and the latest? How many years after the varus disaster did they go from mail to plate armor?

What about the helmet? How do I get the right time period helmet matched to the right Lorica?