Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Private Messages \"Spammed\"
HELP PLEASE! :o

My personal email account notification showed 8 PMs from RAT (all the same sender via an invitation to the Greek and Hellenistic Cavalry Group).

Within the PM system on RAT there is nothing at all! :???:

Has anyone else had this? And how can messages show in my linked email account and not in my RAT PM Inbox?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Sounds like SPAM to me! I would just ignore and delete them!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Moi

I had the same last night, about eight messages all from the same sender asking the same question. Is there a Greek and Hellenistic cavalry group?

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Sounds like SPAM to me! I would just ignore and delete them!

I have but I'm more interested in how it has happened and how they got access to my PM on a membership only Forum :|

Thanks Graham - and I don't know if there is such a group either. Sad
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Me too.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
I had an invitation to join the Hellenistic cavalry group in my email inbox, just did so there is such a group. There was also a link to an online supplier which seemed to offer mostly junk. :-|

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
An invitation to join a group here at RAT may not appear in your PM inbox. John Conyard is a member of the group which would imply its legit, but I also had 8 emails which included both invitations to join the group and links to the crappy online store.

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Yes, it is indeed a group on the community part of this forum, which John originally started over a year ago.

I also got those emails and it seems that just another India user (Raja) is now using the group to sell his crappy products. (like 'helmats' whatever that may be???)
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote:Yes, it is indeed a group on the community part of this forum, which John originally started over a year ago.

I also got those emails and it seems that just another India user (Raja) is now using the group to sell his crappy products. (like 'helmats' whatever that may be???)

Doormats for the gates of hel?

I seem to have been spared the spam, fortunately!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I also received the eight e-mails. They purported to come from Romanarmy.com but were from this character Raja. A few weeks ago, I received a 'Friends' request from him, which seemed harmless enough at the time and which I, perhaps unwisely, accepted. On reading this thread, I looked at my Friends list and saw from his details there that he had 93 Friends. He now has 92.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)
Ditto
Deleted them all
Kevin
Kevin
Well, there's some comfort in knowing it isn't just me (but not a lot).

Perhaps another nail in the coffin of the social aspects on the Forum.
Moi Watson

I'm gutted that i never get the mails through from "king olaffy the third from kenya" anymore telling me he needs my bank account to deposit $10,000,000,000 as he aint got one. I allways replied to these, with somewhat comical content, everyday for a month, they soon get pissed off.
Kevin
Kevin
Quote:Well, there's some comfort in knowing it isn't just me (but not a lot).

Perhaps another nail in the coffin of the social aspects on the Forum.

Well, I think it has less to do with the social features as it does with on-board spamming in general. I recently also got a private message asking me for help. (Just asking if I would answer specific question, not the questions itself). I just advised the guy to ask them on the public board. Still the PM-function could be used to SPAM.

Better just get this user account (Raja) blocked and deleted.
ALA I BATAVORUM
Quote: I allways replied to these,
I reply, saying, "Just PayPal it to this email address, and thanks!"

No money so far, but I'm not giving up yet.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I post messages? Arius 1 71 04-15-2024, 01:59 PM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  Private messages being spammed Dan Howard 31 13,018 12-17-2013, 05:31 PM
Last Post: Vindex
  \"Events\" function spammed? Epictetus 2 2,508 07-01-2012, 08:55 AM
Last Post: M. Demetrius