Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet brow guards?
I am not sure if I am calling it the right thing or not but I have a question about Brow Guards? THe Bar that goes across the front of the helmet. I have seen it in two different styles on different helmets.

1. A solid bar that goes from one side to the other across the front and just under the two wings.
2. A thin metal guard that has a 45 degree bend in it that presents itself as about a 1/2" across the front of it.

Is #2 just a knock off of a lesser quality helmet? Or were the brow guards acutally made both ways historically?

THanks

Patrick.
No. 2 sounds very iffy to me.....what would you like on your helmet for a brow guard?
I think that answers that question.
My opinion only....pics would be good so we dont look like idiots comenting on something we have not seen.
Kevin
Kevin
Pics would definitely help
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Patrick

I think the term should be brow reinforce and indeed there were different styles historically, two examples of this are the Hebron helmet that has the folded down 1/2 inch at its front edge the metal being a bout 20 gauge or 0-9mm thickness then this has a decorative bronze band going around the 1/2 inch front edge.

Then there is the Italic D that has a solid reinforce of bronze that is around 3/16 inch thick at the bowl of the helmet but tapers down at its front edge with lots of little nicks in it that look like sword cuts but is only a decorative feature of the reinforce.
Brian Stobbs
[attachment=5099]mainz1Small.gif[/attachment]
Here are pic's of the Italic D one of the many copies I have made of it, I have a pic' of the Hebron when I can find it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Brian Stobbs
Sorry about that... Here are the pictures. Is this Brow Guard acceptible or should I be looking at trying to make a solid bar? And if so, any suggestions as to how to do that?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The Gallic G/H should have a solid bar, yes

-Matt
Really Patrick, that isn't a very bad looking helmet at all, as long as you aren't trying to replicate the Gallic G from Worms verbatim like Deepeeka. How does it look when worn?

-Matt
I actually haven't gotten that far as to wear it yet... I have been so busy and I just got the helmet. Sad thing is, is that it has dents and scratches in it and I am currently trying to work that out with the seller. I do not have a helmet cap/liner.

So as for the brow guard... it should be solid? Wondering how to go about making one if everything goes alright with the seller. Hoping they will replace it. That is what it appears they will be doing.
Patrick, if I can put my two cents in, I personally think you would be happier with the solid brow guard. It is fairly easy to make, as I learned in making mine. I used a solid piece of 1018 mild steel and cut out the basic shape of the guard, grounded it smooth, put the ends in the forge and flattened them out, drilled the holes, smoothed the whole thing with a flapper disc, tinned it and installed. Came out great and would "help" stop a sword blow. There are pictures of the nearly finished helmet under "reconstruction of Gallic G helmet". I would be happy to help anyway I can.
Manius Acilius Italicus
Don't forget that dents and scratches would be part of the normal appearance of a helmet that was actually used in combat.
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Thank you Robert... I was admiring your helmet. Can you tell me how you "TIN" a pice that big? I have heard of "Tinning" belt plates but how do you "Tin" something that large? Would you be willing to send me a bit more details on how you shaped and forged it? I would appreciate it. Thanks
Oh... I agree... but not when you buy it brand new! Its certainly not the look I am going for right off the bat. Wink