Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quiz
Well yeah I knew the Limes was essentially marked bya ditch, but that's it.
Quote:I do indeed have a picture but it should be a bit of an easy one.
Not too easy, Brian -- I recognized the photo immediately, but it took me 24 hours to remember the details of the location.

I should have known you'd pick the neighbourhood of Coventina's Well, Brian (which you've mentioned before, more than once)!

Your picture is Gibson's photo of the B6318 (Military Road) looking west towards Carraw Farm. The road marks the line of Hadrian's Wall, which was dismantled to build the flanking dry stone dykes.

My photo of Wall Mile 31 is looking east towards the fort platform at Carrawburgh. Same stretch of road, though. The wall running north (to the right) in the middle-distance of Gibson's photo is the wall running to the left of my photo. The dip that it slumps into is the wall ditch. And we're back to ditches ..!
[attachment=5166]WallMile31_Carrawburgh.jpg[/attachment]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

posted by Duncan B Campbell
https://ninth-legion.blogspot.com/
Duncan.

Well done it is near to milecastle 31 and my picture is looking west with the cattle on 31 with the fort of Procolitia just beyond, and as you say we are back to ditches as is shown on the right of the road.
Then to mention yet again Coventina's Well I might even suggest that it may predate Hadrian's Wall, for it has been claimed that it is the only Romano/Celtic shrine in Britain with a western entrance and so it would have for there is a road running north past its west side. Hence the reason for Procolitia to be where it is for we have another port gate as at the fort of Onnum where the Dere Street goes past the east side of this fort.
Brian Stobbs
Here is another site from (I hope) an unfamiliar angle. Can you name the hill? And what is unusual about it?
[attachment=5167]6.jpg[/attachment]

Is it Herodium? Does it have Herod's palace stuck inside the top?
Nathan Ross
Quote:Is it Herodium? Does it have Herod's palace stuck inside the top?
Well that one didn't last long! Over to you, Nathan.
Quote:Well that one didn't last long!

It's the closest the ancient world has to the lair of a James Bond villain!

Meanwhile - hope this one itsn't utterly obscure:

[attachment=5168]Picture1.jpg[/attachment]

Nathan Ross
Quote:Meanwhile - hope this one itsn't utterly obscure.
Colosseum? :?
I was going to go with Pompeii; I'm sure I remember there being some pargetry.
"Medicus" Matt Bunker

[size=150:1m4mc8o1]WURSTWASSER![/size]
<hangs head and shuffles off to look up "pargetry">

:?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:Colosseum? :?

Correct city (but I think I'd need a more accurate location!) :wink:

(these new icon-things are a bit OTT, don't you think?)
Nathan Ross
Isn't that the corridor/cryptoporticus on the Palatine? Tourist guides say it's the place where Caligula was killed, although it was built one generation later.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Isn't that the corridor/cryptoporticus on the Palatine?

It is indeed. That bit was labelled as the Cryptoporticus of Tiberius, as I recall, although I doubt if the actual attribution is all that secure!

Over to Jona then... Confusedmile:
Nathan Ross
OK, here is my contribution. Two photos of an archaic sarcophagus. But where was it found?

[attachment=5175]funeral1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5176]funeral2.jpg[/attachment]

If someone can explain to me why those guys are standing on their toes, I'd be most grateful.

Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:If someone can explain to me why those guys are standing on their toes, I'd be most grateful.

Are they doing the sacred bouncing dance of the archaic warrior elite, maybe? :-)

But what grisly business is going on in the top panel, I'd like to know...
Nathan Ross