Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why can\'t we all just work together! Deva 2012
Quote:Well, there were enough people asking pertinent questions for me to believe there is an element
ogf the public who do care. However, if the uncaring masses want to come and see us 'authentics', let them come! Wink

I hope we can get this event to a Cohort size in the near future.
Then onto a Legion! :grin:

I disagree with the "public doesn't care" attitude. Even at a Renaissance Faire, if I go in kit, I get questions from random people about equipment. And most people are walking around with polyester pirate outfits. I do this for educational purposes (my own education, and those who wish it). I don't want to give the public "bum dope" or show them misleading kit. But like you, Byron, if the uncaring masses want to just come up and get a photo with a Roman, I enjoy that, as well. (especially if they are pretty femina Smile)
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Can I just say what an excellent post from Jay, although relatively new to the hobby of re-enactment his attitude and ethos is one that many 'Old sweats' could do well to aspire to.

I agree with Robert entirely in that to strive for excellence can never be considered as a bad thing, the way in which we discuss and comment on each others kit can be a bad thing if delivered without thought or consideration for the recipient. I believe the simple maxim don't criticise others in a way in which you would not wish to be criticised would lead to less people taking offence.
Marc Byrne
I agree. In fact, I think you would find many 'old sweats' probably started out with the same attitude as young Jay! Amazing how being shot down when doing the best you can afford for several years can alter the way you respond to people! Wink
Or even for a year or so, by people with double standards! But thats another topic!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Chester eh...causing all sorts of grief.
Can we all go to York next year please....... Big Grin
Kevin

Or even Exeter...The "Original" home of II AVG...no Amphitheatre...wonder why?
Thats for a new thread i think.
Kevin
Quote:Chester eh...causing all sorts of grief.
Can we all go to York next year please....... Big Grin
Kevin

Better yet, come across the pond and join our merry band of colonial separatists. Smile
Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis

Joe Patt (Paruzynski)
Milton, FL, USA
Yeah, that way I can sleep in my own bed at night, whinge whinge whinge...LOL 8-)

Right enough of the bitch-fest folks.

Constructive criticism is, as said, very helpful, and everyone benefits from it.
Funny no one makes suggestions on my subarmalis, just comments on fat Legionaries.... :roll:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Thanks for the compliment of being young! I guess I am at 39 but by Roman military standards I'd be just about ready for my plot of land.

People can't be faulted for lack of knowledge or skill. The more you go out to events, read and study, the more you try your hand at making your own stuff the better your skills and kit will be. It takes time. Think back to your first kit and what you have now, it doesn't happen over night.

Now back to the Montreal F1 GP!
"The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones"

Antony
Jay wrote:

It takes time. Think back to your first kit and what you have now, it doesn't happen over night.

Indeed it does not. This year The Ermine Street Guard celebrate 40 years in Roman re-enactment and they are still working to improve their kit. Back when they started there was no RAT where they could ask questions and get immediate answers, no other group to use as a model, no kit suppliers, no Roman Military equipment conferences and of course no internet either.

When they went proudly to one early conference someone there said, what a pity they had gone to a lot of trouble to get everything completely wrong!

They could have immediately dismissed that guy as a nit-picker, who just because he had written a book thought he knew what he was talking about. However they decided to think about it, do more research and replace as soon as possible all their gear. It is a process still going on as new skills and new research is acquired.

It just turned out that guy happened to be H. Russell Robinson and his book, 'The Armour of Imperial Rome'!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Ahhh, the honor of being Nit-picked by the master! Cool
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Hi Guy,
Quote:I ain't shouting (or shooting for that matter), nor antagonising, that has already been done. Just using the forum to add my view
Indeed you do not, and your views are well received. Thank you.

Quote: I will stick by my statement that for the most part the public don't care. Thats why the film Gladiator was such a success while more recent and more accurate films are not. Thats also why the plastics in Rome make enough money to survive. And yes, we probably could hire 400 students, dress them up in the stuff left over from Hollywood and get away with it.
We fully agree there.
It's indeed the case, and also a problem, because those who do strive to get things right do not always get the appreciation for it. As has been quoted so many times on this forum: if historical films would sell better when more accurate, the boards would be filled with historians. We all know the reality.
My point was that we, although the public does not appreciate our hard work, should nevertheless not cease trying to get it right.

Quote:However, as an organiser, part of the enjoyment is seeing all the groups together. And yes, quality matters, and all of the re-enactment groups do strive for quality. And indeed, flaws should be discussed.
We agree there as well.

Quote:Unfortunately, as re-enactors as well as event organisers we do not get to play at this event. I would love to have got into my Roman gear and enjoyed my hobby. Unfortunately all I could wear was a very unauthentic Roman Tours hi vis vest!
The problems of being in command. No fun! :mrgreen:

Quote:Unfortunately this whole thread was started because of the very negative pointing out of these minor flaws in a public way, without any comment on all of the good points.
Indeed it was, and I think we have turned it around into something much more positive.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I just came to this very late but what a great constructive discussion.

I would love to come over next year. I was a at Nijmegen on the spur of the moment. It was there or Carnuntum, but I would love to get over to England sometime to drink the experience in. (Christian if you need a lift give me a shout)
Nijmegen was also great fun losing my helmet in front of the crowd while running in marching kit was at first embarrasing but I got a cheers, so all was fine. (I also lost 2 kilo's that weekend!)

I too only have butted links, cheap Gladius and naff Pugio. However I intend improving all those things and attending events that have all kinds of great kit is an inspiration.

I help with the organisation of a very small event and I must say Guy hats off to you for what you manage at such a large one. It looked great, I hope to make it there next time.
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Will you be in Kipfenberg, Steve? :-) good opportunity for a chat...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Maybe on Sunday only. I would love to come for the Weekend but after 3 weekends away it would probably bring on a divorce!.....er on the other hand.

:twisted:

Anything for the Roman Army
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
OK, you´ll find me easily :-) I´m with the Romans. ^^
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:OK, you´ll find me easily :-) I´m with the Romans. ^^

The one in Roman kit....
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DEVA 2012 66kbm 103 18,809 06-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Last Post: DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS