Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marching Boot for northern territories
im a leatherworker looking for a pattern or example of a roman boot that would have been used in the colder climate territories. any help here would be greatly appreciated. thanks
You could look into the finds from Vindolanda (UK).
ALA I BATAVORUM
Which period? Military or civilian? The finds from Deurne/The Netherlands (early 4th c.) show types also worn in the Mediterranean, meaning types are not restricted to colder/hotter climate zones.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
To be honest im not sure, i did look in to the uk excavations and they do have a feww examples, no i dont believe climate need be a factor. the importance i feel need be in how closed the boot is, as these will be made for an SCA heavy fighter and caligae simply arent adequate.
Well I have pinched this picture from the Archaic Sandals thread as I am fascinated by the boot (label says 1st - 2nd C ) but so far I cannot find where the artefacts are displayed (and Giannis doesn't know either!)

Anyone else know where this is?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Looks like my old Flying boot!!
Sorry that doesn't help :oops:
Sulpicius Florus

(aka. Steve Thompson)

"What? this old Loculus? had it years dear."
"Vescere bracis meis" (eat my shorts)
Quote:Looks like my old Flying boot!!
Sorry that doesn't help :oops:

LOL - but it is an oddity, isn't it?
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!
Quote:im a leatherworker looking for a pattern or example of a roman boot that would have been used in the colder climate territories. any help here would be greatly appreciated. thanks

You could perhaps use this one: http://sutor.jimdo.com/shoes/roman-shoes...a-calceus/
At http://www.knieriem.net you can also order several patterns.
ALA I BATAVORUM