Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Personalizing a Linothorax
Thanks guys. Giannis, thanks for the tip about the shoulder straps, when you say "read leather hem", you you suggest I sew a piece of leather onto each side of the thorax? Also I think you mentioned this before, but did you say milk paint is necessary for any painting on linen?

Peter, I agree, because it was missing one of the 4 leather buckle parts, I got a further discount, only to find out that the buckle system is unnecessary anyways (I'm surprised the costume director didn't just use a leather tie system anyways, as it'd be cheaper and easier than the buckle system it comes with). Altogether it came to $50, with some cleaning, painting, and maybe down the road addition of some scales it'll be a nice and inexpensive piece indeed
Quintus Furius Collatinus

-Matt
Hi Matt. Sorry it was a typo, i meant "red leather hem", and yes, i just meant a leather piece wraping the lower hem of each pteryga on both sides, just to prevent the fringing of the cut edge. The consept was not unknown since Philip's cuirass had gold such pieces!

It wasn't me that suggested milk paint though.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
a.k.a.:Giannis Kadoglou
a.k.a.:Thorax
[Image: -side-1.gif]
What do you suggest Giannis? Anyone else who has painted their linothorax please feel free to share your suggestions as well

-Matt
Well, i don't see why milk paint wouldn't work well, otherwise, you can use acrylics :-D

As for designs, colours and patterns...

[attachment=2104]3139914007_d669f06e94_o.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2105]3139909385_a18e6f803b_b.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2106]3139915225_94d0d6e1b6_b.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2107]fig8.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2108]fig3.jpg[/attachment]

Khaire
Giannis

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Giannis K. Hoplite
Hey people, i just foudn another very acceptable and low price linothorax that can be readily customized. Scroll down:
http://www.velvet-glove.co.uk/index.php?page=31
Khairete
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Hey people, i just foudn another very acceptable and low price linothorax that can be readily customized. Scroll down:
Khairete
Giannis

Hey Giannis,

I looked up the link you provided. The pictures are quite small but it appears that their linothorax was not stiff but flexible like a leather vest. Aren't linothorax supposed to be stiff to resist blows?
I am also contemplating buying one and personalising it. Have seen some of the Alex props go very fair priced...

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Hey people, i just foudn another very acceptable and low price linothorax that can be readily customized. Scroll down:
Khairete
Giannis

Well, compared to others that I have seen on the market that doesn't look too bad! Less than $200.00 US delivered to my door, it's certainly something to consider. What alterations would you suggest for this piece Giannis? (I am assuming that the side straps would need to go for one)

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
While I am no expert Dithyrambus, things that I quickly noticed were that the buckles should be removed on the left side and sewn together. The buckles should be replaced on the right side with a "tie-string" method, and many tube and yoke style cuirass feature a "neck guard" as you can see here, scroll down a little: http://www.4hoplites.com/Linothorax.htm (actually I think the link belongs to another RAT member). The armor pictured does not look overly stuff either, this may be a simple fix by giving it some backing though. This is just a start, Giannis may have more to point out.

The seller whom I bought mine from has more available if you are interested too

-Matt
This one does have a neck guard albeit short. We do not know if all Linothoraxes had the large neck guard.

You are correct about sowing the side together.

M.VIB.M.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:While I am no expert Dithyrambus, things that I quickly noticed were that the buckles should be removed on the left side and sewn together. The buckles should be replaced on the right side with a "tie-string" method, and many tube and yoke style cuirass feature a "neck guard" as you can see here, scroll down a little: http://www.4hoplites.com/Linothorax.htm (actually I think the link belongs to another RAT member). The armor pictured does not look overly stuff either, this may be a simple fix by giving it some backing though. This is just a start, Giannis may have more to point out.

The seller whom I bought mine from has more available if you are interested too

Thank you Matt! I placed a bid for one of the Alexander linos, although I am not quite as ahem..robust as some of you guys Tongue , surely these can be taken in a bit? Confusedmile:

"The men who once dwelled beneath the crags of Mt Helicon, the broad land of Thespiae now boasts of their courage"
Philiades

"So now I meet my doom. Let me at least sell my life dearly and have a not inglorius end, after some feat of arms that shall come to the ears of generations still unborn"
Hektor, the Iliad
Quote:
Giannis K. Hoplite post=299904 Wrote:Hey people, i just foudn another very acceptable and low price linothorax that can be readily customized. Scroll down:
Khairete
Giannis

Well, compared to others that I have seen on the market that doesn't look too bad! Less than $200.00 US delivered to my door, it's certainly something to consider. What alterations would you suggest for this piece Giannis? (I am assuming that the side straps would need to go for one)

Obviously the straps have to go but you then have little else to change as far as accuracy in concerned. What you can do for personalizing it is basicly painting, attaching bronze fittings and scales etc. There are some cast bronze medusa heads in the market although the ancient ones were most probably sheet bronze.
Khaire
Giannis
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:
Dithyrambus post=304261 Wrote:
Giannis K. Hoplite post=299904 Wrote:Hey people, i just foudn another very acceptable and low price linothorax that can be readily customized. Scroll down:
Khairete
Giannis

Obviously the straps have to go but you then have little else to change as far as accuracy in concerned. What you can do for personalizing it is basicly painting, attaching bronze fittings and scales etc. There are some cast bronze medusa heads in the market although the ancient ones were most probably sheet bronze.
Khaire
Giannis

Thank you Giannis, But I have placed a bid on one of the Alexander linos, just a few hours to go and it appears I have the winning bid (fingers crossed) This will cost me much less and I actually like these much better. Smile

Edit: Yea, I won the bid! looking forward to receiving the lino, I can finally rid myself of that horrible brass musculata! 8-)

Philiades

Hektor, the Iliad
Happy to hear it. If you also decide to shorten the pteryges, in addition to the further decoration, i think you'll have a great lino.
Giannis K. Hoplite
Quote:Thank you Matt! I placed a bid for one of the Alexander linos, although I am not quite as ahem..robust as some of you guys Tongue , surely these can be taken in a bit? Confusedmile:

Haha, give me some credit, I still have a 34" waist lol.

I saw one of brookers_007's linos sold today, but it was picture-less. I'll warn you, he has a few different shoulder yoke styles, I would shoot him a PM and see if your linothorax has the simple "round shoulders" yoke, from my limited knowledge, I usually only see the "square" shoulder yoke/strap that myself or Iraliktos has on both reenactors and pottery scenes. Brookster has a ton of these things, I'm sure it would be no problem asking him to find one that fits your bill. The round ones looked goofy, maybe it is just me?

The buckle system on these things if just horribly designed, essentially (as you will see), the buckle and the leather strap are both mounted on the same piece, so you have to rope the strap through a loop and pull it back to buckle (try doing that one handed lol), as opposed to the buckle and strap being on opposite sides. Luckily you only need a razor blade to cut the straps off leaving you with 4 loops, careful not to let the blade slip when you cut through the touch leather, I did and made a small cut on my lino that needs to be sewn back together somehow or covered up.

Essentially in much too many words, I meant to say that tying it with leather ties will give you a much more precise fit as you can tie it exactly as tight or loose to your body as you would like. I got some leather shoe ties at Wal-Mart for $4. Simple quick fix!

-Matt